Thread: 1977 Mantra

Mel
    Can any one give us some information on our first boat purchase.. My husband came home last year with a 77 Mantra 18 fter which was in a barn forgotten for 15 years! What a beauty black with gold metal
    flake,454,berkeley 12 JC-A jet drive. My husband rebuuilt the motor as it sat for all those years and was tied up. We dumped a whole lot of money into this project engine he tells me http://free.***boat.net/ubb/rolleyes.gif new steel crank,10:1 compression pitstons, heads re worked with a preformance valve job, 600" lift cam, 750 holly carb, bored 30 over. The jet pump also had to be rebuilt which we took to a Jet Dr. My question I guess is do we have a gem and can anyone tell us about this boat?? Can't seem to find info on this boat anywhere. We took her out for her first journey last August and as I said this is our first boat, well what a ride we had ! Where are the seat belts? My opinion is they should have put wings on this one she sure wasn't built to sit still and look pretty although she could!
    [This message has been edited by Mel (edited June 14, 2001).]
    [This message has been edited by Mel (edited June 14, 2001).]

rstover1
    Never heard of one but if its a jet boat it cant be bad congrats on a new addiction dosent sound like a bad set up the 12 jc is a good pump. have fun jetting. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif

spectras only
    I've seen picture ads in Performance Boat magazine [predecessor of Hot Boat]in the late seventies and early eighties.Write to Bob Brown or Greg Shoemaker,they would have some info about your boat.

MoJetBoPar
    Unfortunately, I don't have any info on your 77 Mantra! But, I acquired a 77 Mantra in Aug/00 and haven't seen much info yet. I'm wondering if yours is the same model. Mine is a bubbledeck with the rolled/rounded corners at the transom, looks like a Rogers. Admittedly, a dated style by 1977, most jet boats had sharp corners back at the transom by then, does your?
    It also looks like it was previously raced ("Marine Racing" logo on transom) and has full length stringers along with gold anodized aluminum stringer caps, ride plate, shoe and a loader grate.
    I've seen other Mantra's on www.boattraderonline.com, (http://www.boattraderonline.com,) many are of the early 80's vintage, 77 is the earliest I've seen yet. I suspect Mantra was an acquisition of another jet boat manufacturer that had been bought out or whatever.
    I'd really like to see pic's of yours to compare it to mine, stylingwise. I'm wondering if mine was a regular prod. model or a lite-weight race item? It is currently powered by a Chrysler big block 361 of all things. Since it is a Mopar that's ok with me, it'll just need a 440 transplant eventually.

tahiti jet
    hello, just saw your message a if you goto
    realjetboats.com you will see another mantra
    listed in the gallery maybe they will know