Thread: Rocker arms loose on BBC

wrenchdaddy
    all of My rockers on my 454 BBC are a little loose, I can spin the pushrods with my fingers and jiggle the actual rockers a little bit. It has a hydraulic cam and lifters. I would have never thought about it but it seems that one of the rockers was hitting the valve cover and actually cracked it which made it start leaking oil. I never heard any clattering of any kind but then again this is in a jet boat with open headers. What do you guys think? How tight should they be?

Moneypitt
    Hyd lifters will bleed off after the motor is turned off. As long as you're not hearing any "clacking" while running you should be OK, And yes you will hear them, even with open headers........MP

victorfb
    but it wouldnt hurt to learn how to set them. check them every once in a while and keep the engine running to its potential. there are many sites with how to tips that explian the process in detial. especially most cam shaft manufacturers sites. learn it, do it, and maintain it. youll be happy you did. and yes you will/can possible see alot of play in the valve train if the motor suts for a while and allows the lifters to release its preload of oil. especially when the lifters are old and have weaker springs inside. good luck...

GofastRacer
    all of My rockers on my 454 BBC are a little loose, I can spin the pushrods with my fingers and jiggle the actual rockers a little bit. It has a hydraulic cam and lifters. I would have never thought about it but it seems that one of the rockers was hitting the valve cover and actually cracked it which made it start leaking oil. I never heard any clattering of any kind but then again this is in a jet boat with open headers. What do you guys think? How tight should they be?
    If the motor has been sitting for a whle the lifters will bleed down, but if you're not sure just run the valves, 1/4 turn past zero lash, take all of 20 minutes!..

wrenchdaddy
    When you set the lash on a brand new motor with new lifters the push rod should barely be able to spin in your fingers right? This is what I have learned about small block chevys anyway, I dunno about big blocks. So what the difference in setting between new lifters that haven't ever been pumped up with oil and fairly new ones that have bled down fron sitting a few months?

When you set the lash on a brand new motor with new lifters the push rod should barely be able to spin in your fingers right? This is what I have learned about small block chevys anyway, I dunno about big blocks. So what the difference in setting between new lifters that haven't ever been pumped up with oil and fairly new ones that have bled down fron sitting a few months?
    that was my understanding as far as hyd. chevy's go

GofastRacer
    Hydraulics are hydraulics no matter what motor they are in, with the cam on the heel, take all lash out(you will still be able to rotate the pushrod)then add a 1/4 turn, lifters don't need to be pumped up with oil and new or used don't matter!..