Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: This Ever Happen To You???

n8dawg
    So I'm cruzin down the river. I have a four adults, one dog, a 12x12 easy up ( thats pretty heavy,) a full cooler of beer and food, and all of our gear. We're cookin right along at 4000rpms witch is runnin pretty fast for my boat that tops out at 5100rpms. My usual cruzin speed is about 3000rpm. After about 10 minutes of this I look back at the engine and oil is pouring out of the breather cap like a faucet! I slowed down turned it off. I thought I blew the damn thing. We waited awhile fired it back up, idled for a bit everything checked out and we continued on our way, keeping the rpms @ 2500-3000. Didn't happen again.
    Is that from my oil becoming to hot?

cole13
    So I'm cruzin down the river. I have a four adults, one dog, a 12x12 easy up ( thats pretty heavy,) a full cooler of beer and food, and all of our gear. We're cookin right along at 4000rpms witch is runnin pretty fast for my boat that tops out at 5100rpms. My usual cruzin speed is about 3000rpm. After about 10 minutes of this I look back at the engine and oil is pouring out of the breather cap like a faucet! I slowed down turned it off. I thought I blew the damn thing. We waited awhile fired it back up, idled for a bit everything checked out and we continued on our way, keeping the rpms @ 2500-3000. Didn't happen again.
    Is that from my oil becoming to hot?
    Uh oH, someones itching to get a new motor!

460 jus getn it
    blow bye. are you running a pcv valve?

n8dawg
    No pvc valve. I have breathers on both valve covers. What causes blow bye?

460 jus getn it
    No pvc valve. I have breathers on both valve covers. What causes blow bye?
    bad rings..............

n8dawg
    AAAAWWWW s*******t ! Should I check the compression?

cole13
    n8 check your PM's

flat broke
    could be rings, could be valve stem seals, could just be a shitty breather design. Do a compression check to ease your mind. Then have a look at the breathers, are they baffled? does oil have a straight shot off the rocker arm and up the breather and out? A lot of the time, its just that your motor builds some crank case pressure when your on it for a while. Combine that with oil splashing everywhere from the valvetrain and some of it is bound to come out the breather. Many factors to consider, but the bottom line is that it is not always indicative of a toasted set of rings.
    If you want a way to clean it up.... swap over to a puke tank with breather setup. The oil has to travel farther to get to the accumulation tank to begin with which will stop a lot of it, and what does get there can cleanly be drained out without getting all over your engine and bilge.
    Chris

CandyA$$
    What kind of motor do you have?
    I know we used to have an olds and it puked all the time when you run it at high rpms, which is common in some motors. So we built a puke tank with a breathers. It matched the gas tank. I do not have pictures, sorry.

Aluminum Squirt
    This is a silly thought, but did you just change the oil and maybe lost count while filling it up. A little too much oil may let the crank froth it up pretty good-Aluminum Squirt

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast