Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First time out videos (since we all love videos..)

CrdStang
    First time out!
    http://www.zippyvideos.com/104704139446605.html
    http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=Cap0021
    Things I learned:
    At low speeds my boat steers like an inflated pig carcass. :frown:
    I'm guessing this is normal?
    I think I installed my bowl seal backwards. The gear oil in there looked like a milkshake after less than 2 hours of running. Think about it..pressure is on the water side, not the gear oil side..so shouldn't the seal really be installed "inside out"?
    My battery terminals are crap. One actually broke in half while I was connecting it. Fortunately I have a dual battery setup so it wasn't critcal.
    Tighten everything TWICE. Got back to shore and found the big rudder bolt was GONE. :2purples:
    The known universe might not actually collapse into it's self if your boat cuts power at high speed. I was at WOT and accerating, decided to back off the throttle a bit when..WOOPS! The cable came off the morse control...
    As I reached for the ignition I remembered all those warnings and horror stories about cut power. Gritted my teeth, flipped the key off..and..she settled down smooth as you please. I guess only fast boats have to worry about that?
    My Olds is WAY out of tune. If the almost constant roughness, occasional spluttering and one or two pops through the carb weren't enough, then the top speed removes all doubt; 39.5 knots on the GPS. I see extensive re-jetting, resetting of timing curves and reading of spark plugs in my near future. Oh, and my tach is busted too, so I can't tell you what RPM that was at.
    And most importantly...
    JET BOATS KICK ASS!!

berk
    ha i thought the rough sound was just the video playback cutting out! yeah the lips of the seal go out as in they are sealing water out not oil in. i think.

cave
    Your tach may be bad. I changed mine and for some reason the motor ran allot better.
    Cool vids.

malcolm
    What was that, about 4200? Knots???
    I'm going to head for the river this afternoon and see if I can shoot some footage.

CrdStang
    Berk: A big "DOH!" on the seal. I'll have to pull the bowl at some point I guess.
    Cave: thanks! I had the tach disconnected at first, I don't think it made any difference, but I'll give it a shot!
    Malcom: 40 knots = 46.1mph. It's my dad's GPS and he's a sailboat guy, they do everything in knots. Yeah I'd guess about 4200RPM.

boater012
    sweetness. im glad you finally got it back on the water, but sorry to hear about the problems. yer a smart guy you'll figure it out and be up and running in no time. :rollside:

piper
    Cool video.

CrdStang
    Just to keep you all updated, I hit 57mph today (GPS). The olds purrs like a kitten now that my dad adjusted the points. I guess I'm too young, I've never had to mess with that old stuff before. :220v: Now that she's hitting on all 8, I'm going to start with the carb tuning...
    Here's hoping I can break 60...

carbonfiber50
    Thanks for sharing you vids.

malcolm
    Alright! Did you ever notice my first time out video? I didn't have any issues (same setup I ran last year). K-flat was nice enough to put this on his server for me.
    http://www.jetboatsnmore.com/movie/snoho1.wmv
    4900 and 53 mph (heavy old boat!)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast