Thread: Automotive gauges?

Glencoe MiniDay
    I was wondering if any one has used or is currently using regular car gauges in the Boats??

Wet Dream
    Yup. Auto Meters down to the Kragen auto type. They all read the same thing. Some last longer than others, but they all do the same thing. Marine type are usually better sealed, but even "marine" gauges can fog up behind the glass.

Danhercules
    I put a new set of auto gauges in my boat just before it sunk. All but the tach. I was not done with the custum bezel. After I pulled her out, the auto gauges still worked, even to this day, and the marine one fogged and never cleared.
    http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data...001173-med.JPG

I put a new set of auto gauges in my boat just before it sunk. All but the tach. I was not done with the custum bezel. After I pulled her out, the auto gauges still worked, even to this day, and the marine one fogged and never cleared.
    Man you don't mess around when you test gauges eh? Going to the extreme of sinking your boat just to see if a gauge will fog! Youdamandan

Mighty Thor
    I have the auto gages in my boat and had them fill up with rainwater, still work fine but was really supprised that they were not sealed better cause I can think of hundreds of uses where they would not be in a cab. Tractor, swather, dozer, grader, paver, roller almost any type of construction equipment could expose the instruments to Mother Nature.

Glencoe MiniDay
    Well thanks for all the input.
    I guess I will stop looking at marine only gauges.

SmokinLowriderSS
    This past winter decided to replace all my 27 year old gauges, oil press was first last summer as a testbed. Went digital, Summit and Cyberdyne, red LED (to match the main boat color) and am very happy. Still have to change the gas gauge & Tach.