Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Aluminum hull?

mud duck
    I am curious about the advantages/disadvantages of running an aluminum hulled jet boat, for only cruising, racing, or skiing (no fishing allowed) on lakes. The 19' or 21' Eagle LTD Sport comes to mind as an awsome sleek looking boat. The Delta pad, step-tech hull design has many advantages. The aluminum is far more durable than fiberglass. And they can be painted to look fantastic. However, does the aluminum slap the water and sound metallic? These type of boats are primarily used for white water river racing in OR, UT, WA, ID, & Canada. Why can't they be used for regular cruising?
    I currently have a 19' Taylor with a 454 BBC, Holley 750, Berkley 12JE setup. It has been loads of fun over the years, but I'm always worried about the fiberglass with sand, rocks or careless passengers. I thought that if these boats can take white water racing, they can take anything.
    Please advise.

smash
    Mud Duck
    Outlaw or Eagle make some great hulls. We have raced both and love them. They are lighter and faster than glass(owned and raced Cougar boats too) they make good lake boats for skiing as well

mud duck
    There is a '96 Eagle LTD Sport for sale in Wilsonville, Oregon. I don't know much about these style of boats, but I believe it has a 350 sbc & an American Turbine jet.
    What type of speed can someone expect from a boat like this, with this setup. From Eagle's web site, it sounds like their engines & accessories are quite stout.
    Why can't you drop a big block in one of these?

smash
    You can put any motor you want in them the small blocks we use come from circle track applications. Not many oval track cars run BBC power therefore more developement on sbc and lighter weight.

mud duck
    Are there any disadvantages?
    If you got the paint right, interior & vinyl right, put a hatch over the engine, paid attention to fit and finish. What are the draw backs?
    You could have a very tough, fast boat for river running, or lake cruising that looks good and carries five. Why aren't these more popular?
    Maybe I should just get an Ultra '19 Shadow tunnel hull and be done with it.
    [This message has been edited by mud duck (edited July 31, 2001).]

smash
    They are quite popular up here in western Alberta and the north west. Glass was cheep and popular for years but not many if any performance manufactures are making good glass hulls up here any more. Alum hulls are stronger straighter lighter and faster than any glass hull. They can be repaired quite easily or recycled in the event of a major crash(the name says it all). The tech involved in bulding these hulls is far above what most people know cnc plate cutting for example. as for downside ...after 20 years still searching

mud duck
    Okay, that's what I wanted to hear. I will probably pursure this more.
    Do you know of any other manufactures of good looking, sleek aluminum boats other than Outlaw & Eagle?
    I am not interested in those big, comercial, tourist carting river boats. Or the flat fishing boats either. Sprint out of Alaska will custom make what ever you specify, but I'd rather find a model already to go.
    Thanks for all your advise/knowledge.

smash
    Boice makes their own racers I'm not sure if they make them for sale or not. I heard something about a guy from New Zealand making stuff up here.BTW my new sbc clocked in at 117mph on the river on the weekend with the new pump.

mud duck
    What setup do you oun/run?

SB
    If I were in fresh water, I'd use aluminum. It's 1/3 less weight. Unfortunately I'm running in salt water and alum. won't hold up in salt.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast