Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: "Building the Century Jet"

flat broke
    How bout set 25k as a desired goal and add Greg's statement about safety related purchases being the reason the cost may run over. For me, once I say do it for the least bit of $$$ that certain goals will alow, I end up running over on budget because the line between need and want gets blured. Where if you have a budget and in order to go over the budget you have to validate it from a safety standpoint, you might hold closer to your spending cap.
    Another thought that I think HH pointed out; I have seen some good numbers coming from stroker SBC powered Eagles. I think something in the range of 383s spining 6k and hitting the 80s? Maybe the beer cans warrant further investigation...
    Chris

oldphart
    some of the beer can boats that bounce off rocks on the Yuba river are reputed to be 100 mph jets. There was an aussy through here last year with a Twin turbo big block chevy that was advertized as a 115 mph boat. I placed myself and a chippy friend at the end of roughly 1/4 mile of smooth deep water and he was only doing 71. There used to be lots of 100 mph jets, but that was before GPS and radar guns. buuuuut its an interesting goal for bench racing

Jungle Boy
    I own a couple of them Eagle "beer can" boats and can run 86+ mph with a 383 stroked sbc making 465hp (custom "B" impeller at 5250 rpm) on GPS. I do have buddies that run in the 103+ mph range with pro-charged sbc motors with 650 - 750 hp or real nasty 750 natural (13.5:1) asperated rodek engines. But up in Canada with the exchange rate and all you can't build 650hp motor for under 25k (not one that will last). We find the jump from 85 mph to 100 mph is about 15000+ dollars. No disrespect to Oldphart but I'll tell you that there are plenty 110+ mph boats racing on the rivers up here and NW USA . Tim Harding was clocked on radar at 123 mph. 4 time world champ Spencer King with a 600 ci ford runs regularly at 115+ mph all day long. Rob Chrunyk runs a small block natural asp engine at 107+ mph. These aren't drag boats doing 1/4 mile passes, these are boats that run 450 mile marathons over 5-6 days. Greg, you should come up and run some skinny water with us some day. You would have a blast.

75_Elim
    I'm no expert when it comes to design, but I'm pretty good when it comes to throwing out ideas......... Now how about this?
    Build a twin jet ??? You could build 2 600hp motors for half the cost of a 900 then throw those into a older cat hull. The dual jets should have more then enough thrust to push even a 25' Daytona over 100mph. Or my other thought is to build one 750hp motor, then build a gear box that splits the power to 2 jet drives. This way you get the same thrust as above but with less weight.
    Like I said I'm not the engineer, but I do love to think of these crazy ways to cheat the water http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif
    75 Elim

LVjetboy
    Either way 75Elim, I'd love to see Greg do an article on the "Century Jet". Set a minimum price and reliability/safety goal to keep it from being a stunt, then see how close HBM (compliments of GS) could get.
    My thought is the engine would need help from the bottle (to keep prices down) but done right, that can be reliable too. Used or new make no difference to me...whatever it takes. Think of the challenge! Could be "100 mph on a Budjet" Or "Breaking the Triple D" Or "Jet of the Century: The Cost of running Triple Digits"
    Talk about an interesting article! I'd be anxiously waiting at the mail box for the next issue...to read the next update on the project of the century!
    Just a thought,
    jer

jroos
    Cool idea 75. There is a guy who builds a gear box for v-drives that splits to 2 props. I don`t know if it could be used for jets but don`t see why not. Greg any input? I would bet it would cost though.
    Under 25k? Ya`ll are going about this wrong. Yes it can be done and with ease. Buy a used rig. Decent running mill. If its old, good as long as not smokin`. Old mills are loose and usually rev. Do a little tweekin` and lighten the load. As in bare interior, no carpet you get it. Now do a rebuild on the pump with a diverter addition. here is the fun and easy part. 400hp 3 stage nitros kit! Remember, we have about 6 to 8 grand in it before juice. You say,"But the motor is not gonna last long!". Uh, yeah! And your point? We don`t have too much in it and we can always get another junk yard mill. I would also advise this with a small block, plenty of `em to pick from in the scrap heap. Ever see all the used stuff on ebay?
    [This message has been edited by jroos (edited September 22, 2001).]

Chestah Cheetah
    Originally posted by 75_Elim:
    Build a twin jet ??? You could build 2 600hp motors for half the cost of a 900 then throw those into a older cat hull. The dual jets should have more then enough thrust to push even a 25' Daytona over 100mph
    75 Elim
    I brought this up also as something that would be a cool "one-off" project in a different thread a while back. We were on the subject of Sea Doo boats and how one or two of their "bigger" models ran twins. I know our BBC's are bigger and would be tight, but that all depends on what kind of boat you're looking at for installation.
    Twin Big Block Jets- Nice!

Guys, the twin engine/twin pump deal has been tried. This was posted a couple months ago by Old Rigger:
    " Put one together that almost killed Schuster. Had 2 berkleys in it and twin BBC's, they took it out for a test run and it ran like stink but when they took it into a tight turn one of the pumps cavatated and spun the boat out violentely, throwing Dick across and almost out of the thing. Smashed his head up real good. Pumps were mounted real close together too and the engines were stagered "
    Maybe it isn't such a good idea?

Unchained
    I already did this,
    Used Cheyenne 19' tunnel $ 5,500
    Place Hyd diverter $ 550
    Place Droop $ 260
    New blown Arias/Chevy 540 $ 18,500
    Misc. $ 1,000
    Lots of time $ 0
    Total $ 25,810
    I did'nt keep a good track of the parts cost but this is probably accurate within 5%
    Results, Gps 104 at 10 lbs boost
    Boat has much more potential, needs more shoe and a lot more boost to go a lot faster but then you can get into no mans land and I'm becoming more Chicken S**t as the years go by. I like the acceleration from 20 mph to 80 and thats good enough for me.

Joker
    Hey fella's I can vouch for jungle boy we have a couple of beer cans up here that are in the neighborhood of 100...bare hulls big block big horsepower. I jetboat with a guy on the clearwater who is running twin 460's in a 22' home made beer can...In northern Saskatchewan you can take a ride up the Churchill River with a guy who is running twin 454's in 20' beer can...The sound that comes out of these 2x big blocks is unreal...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast