Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Berkley pump 101

Jet Novice
    A couple of weeks ago I picked up a 75 18' Hawaiian with a Berkley pump. The ID tag is missing and I am not really sure what pump I have.
    It is not a split bowl and the steering nozzle does not have the nylon o-ring. I've seen pictures of the different pumps on the Berkley site but quite honestly they all look the same to me.
    What do I look for to get a positive ID this pump? Help!! Thanks.

Jet Novice
    Looked at the pictures again, its either a JC or a JG. How to tell the difference? Were all JG's spit bowls? Is the JC as good as the JG?
    I'm just getting into jets so I've got a ton of "back-to-basic" questions. Thanks for your patience guys.

Slick
    JN, a Berkeley JC is a one-piece bowl and a JG is a two-piece bowl. Here is an example of Berk JC: http://www.cpperformance.com/images/150-B-06470.jpg
    And this is an example of a JG: http://www.cpperformance.com/images/150-B-07338.jpg

1quickjet
    Not to interfere with novice's question, but Slick, what seals the nozzle housing to the bowl on the JG? Is it just a bead of silicone, or some sort of gasket?

DickDanger
    1QJ,
    No worries on asking questions here. These guys have been answering just about any dumbass question that I could think up for a few months now. If you are just getting into jets, you are in the right place. Good luck!!! -DD out http://www.plauder-smilies.de/party/drinka.gif

Boater Bill
    There is a gasket on mine. FYI my pump is a JB and the bowl looks the same as a JG. Maybe the prev owner changed bowls.

LeadFootTheRabbit
    Slick, thanks for the jet pics. I just learned a little about my pump.
    Heres a question... What do you guys mean when you talk about the shoe?
    LDFTRBT

nelsonf
    BB a JB is the same as a JG just an earlier model

Jet Novice
    From a performance standpoint is there any difference between the JC and the JG. And, would there be any advantage/reason to find a split bowl to replace the JC bowl?
    Again, the boat is an 18" Hawaiian.

froggystyle
    Originally posted by LeadFootTheRabbit:
    Heres a question... What do you guys mean when you talk about the shoe?
    LDFTRBT
    LDFTRBT,
    On some performance applications, usually involving a "set-back" jet, a step is machined into the rear of the intake on your pump. Into this relief is bolted a machined piece of aluminum designed to affect the flow of water going into the pump. It can either shovel water in to the pump, and increase intake pressure (also creating some drag BTW) or divert water away from the intake causing lift in the rear (back-cut shoe) In most applications, you then bolt a ride plate to this device, which will extend out the rear of the boat and provide the boat a more rearward riding location to plane on. This plate is also able to be adjusted to affect your ride attitude. The overall effect is to get more boat out of the water by distributing more weight back further, and allowing less wetted area to come in contact with the boat when on step.
    In short, the shoe itself is an intake tuning device, and the plate is a ride tuning device.
    Jet Novice,
    The real advantage of a split bowl is aftermarket parts. Place makes a diverter for a one-piece bowl, but as I understand it, the diverter is after the turning pivot, so you get some awkward action in the rear if you are diverted and applying power in a hard turn, the diverter has more leverage at that point. In addition, you will be unable to bolt on a "droop" extension to your pump.
    I have both devices, and now swear by both for my application. If you had a heavier boat, I would advise you to switch bowls and get a droop. With an 18'er though, you probably get plenty of lift, and run hard enough as it is. The diverter I feel should come standard on all jets. It is hands down the most influential bolt on I have ever used.
    Squirts up!
    As a note, this is a picture of a large 21' V with pretty stout power at full throttle. http://www.ultraboats.com/ultra/html...s/21%20XS7.JPG
    If you look closely, you can see that the rear chines are damn near 10" out of the water, and most of the boat is aired out. That boat has a ride plate, shoe, droop and diverter. All work towards getting that boat up in the air, and moving faster because of less resistance.
    More pics at... http://www.ultraboats.com/ultra/html...yone/index.htm
    [This message has been edited by froggystyle (edited November 20, 2001).]

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast