Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Berkley pump 101

HBjet
    Unless your pump is in need of a rebuild, just by bolting on a split bowl you will not notice a difference in performance. The advantages of a split bowl are that you can add a droop snoop and some wedge between the bowl and the nozzle. The JG is most prefered because your not as limited as you are with a JC when it comes to modifications. If you are happy with your pumps performance, I would suggest buying a Place Diverter rather then switching the bowls. By adding the diverter you can play with the trim of the boat, freeing it up from the water to gain some speed, and you can trim it down to minimize your bow rise when getting out of the hole. But lets not forget, we all buy Place Diverters for the main reason of throwing back a huge rooster tail. Good Luck.
    HBjet

HBjet
    Originally posted by froggystyle:
    Place makes a diverter for a one-piece bowl, but as I understand it, the diverter is after the turning pivot, so you get some awkward action in the rear if you are diverted and applying power in a hard turn, the diverter has more leverage at that point.
    Hey Froggy, I thought Place made one standard diverter model both for the JC & JG and both are after the turning pivot? Anyway, I know I never have the diverter up when making any hard turns, I could see that getting awkward too. BTW, Nice Picture! That thing is out of the water nicely. What speed was that at?
    HBjet

Slick
    Wes, we were talking a while back about what was going to work with your setup. Do you feel, in your own experience, that a similiar setup would be beneficial to my boat. The pump is going to be completely gone through with an inducer added. I'm currently running Chevy 502, 440hp, Holley 850dp, Berk JC, SS"A", place diverter, shoe and ride plate. Due to over all $$$ I'm putting into the boat to get it back on the water, it would probably be one thing at a time, starting with the JG bowl. Or should I stick with what I've got? These are pictures of of what my hull looks like. Somoeone elses boats. http://members.aol.com/r8derfan47/images/setup.jpg
    http://www.***boat.net/class/9403210729c.jpg
    Thanks,
    Slick
    [This message has been edited by Slick (edited November 20, 2001).]

Havasu Hangin'
    Hey Slick, I am by no means a jet expert. However, I can say that I don't think it will work well on that boat.
    It has an outdrive. http://www.goldenplasma.f2s.com/foru...es/happy06.gif
    http://www.goldenplasma.f2s.com/foru...es/happy25.gif

rivercrazy
    Wes. In your experience, what specific performance benefits does a set back installation with a ride plate and machined shoe have over a more standard (non set back no ride plate or shoe). For example sake say its on a boat like Ultra's 21XT.
    Thanks!

Slick
    Hardy Harr Harr

HBjet
    Originally posted by Slick:
    The pump is going to be completely gone through with an inducer added. I'm currently running Chevy 502, 440hp, Holley 850dp, Berk JC, SS"A", place diverter, shoe and ride plate. Due to over all $$$ I'm putting into the boat to get it back on the water, it would probably be one thing at a time, starting with the JG bowl. Or should I stick with what I've got?
    Slick, I know this question was intended for Wes, but I want to comment on something. The cav-reducer is going to help you out for sure because of the size and weight of your boat. I wonder though if an Aluminum impeller would help you out with quicker acceleration and maybe a higher top end speed? Now about your pump bowl. If you don't need a droop then your JC will be just fine. There is now advantage in performance just by changing the bowl to a split, there is only an advantage as to what you can add to it later. I would find out what works with your hull using similar power, and then make your decisions from there. There is no point to having a split bowl if you are never going to add a droop. A diverter is a must though for a boat like that. Good Luck!
    HBjet

spectras only
    1quickjet, someone asked the same question before.There's a gasket between the bowl and the nozzle.The mating surfaces are good ,so silicon can be used like on newer vehicles without gaskets also.

Slick
    Randy,
    You are 100% correct. I'm going to go ahead with the rebuild as is to see how it rides with the current setup and new inducer. Already have place diverter. I do remember the boat riding pretty heavy in the water though. Never thought about the weight difference for the Aluminum vs Stainless. I'm hoping the rebuild will give me some additional flow. If I'm happy, great. I'm not willing to drop another $1,000+ for new bowl & droop for a couple mph.

froggystyle
    Originally posted by HBjet:
    Hey Froggy, I thought Place made one standard diverter model both for the JC & JG and both are after the turning pivot?
    You are right. I am wrong. I heard something a while back and never really followed up on what they were talking about. My bad.
    What speed was that at?
    Upper 70's. Runs pretty good. Next step of the testing is a tricker impeller and stuffer. After that, it gets a cut to see what, if any, that gets us.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast