Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Berkley pump 101

froggystyle
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Slick:
    Wes, we were talking a while back about what was going to work with your setup. Do you feel, in your own experience, that a similiar setup would be beneficial to my boat? Thanks,
    Slick
    You are already mostly there bro. I would not waste any money on the split bowl. Not yet anyway. Run what you have. I would not worry too much about the additional weight of the SS, as the stock, out of the box detailing (which is a big deal BTW) is way superior to Aluminum. That pre-loader is going to help big time. I have seen real bottom-end performance increases with a very similar boat using only the pre-loader addition.
    I had a lot of sucess with handling, speed and driveablity with the addition of the droop. As you can see by the pics, it got out of the water with attitude. What I would do, is keep an eye out for a split bowl, used maybe. I do think the droop would work well in your boat, but perhaps not to the tune of $1,000 extra dollars, plus the cost of the droop.
    Rivercrazy,
    Other than the fact that it allows a shoe and ride plate, I have seen similar handling with boats that have a stock setup, but with the Place droop that has an integrated adjustable ride plate. I think the shoe might actually be hurting me right now, as it may be overloading my intake at these speeds, and causing drag. Not sure though. We will be putting a bowl pressure gauge on the bowl this week to see what that gets us. Hope this helped.
    Squirts up.

HBjet
    Slick, I just found out that you wouldn't notice a difference in acceleration or top end with aluminum vs stainless impeller, but you could run an aluminum and have no problems. Lucky you, you got yourself a stainless, hey, if you wanted to save some money, I know of a guy who needs to buy a stainless A cut for his boat...
    HBjet

Slick
    Randy, thanks for the 411. I think I'll stick with the Stainless. We'll see how she runs next season. If I decide to keep her for the long haul I'll need the SS impeller. I might just have to redline her next October so I have another winter project. Twin turbos??? Maybe.
    Later
    Slick

1quickjet
    Thanks SpectrasOnly, I am going to remove the wedge this weekend, will give the silicone a try.

PC Rat
    Froggy,
    I am curious about installing the bowl pressure guage- how, where etc. - drill and tap for a sender?
    If you are concerned about overloading the pump, wouldn't the intake be a more suitable place for a pressure guage?
    Wouldn't the bowl pressure guage benefit more for lack of loading or nozzle tuning?

LeadFootTheRabbit
    Froggy, thanks for the information. I'm new to jet boats. I bought one to play with when I'm working in Blythe. My other toy is a Howard flat V drive w/ big block ford. I have alot to learn about jets
    thankyou LDFTRBT

froggystyle
    Originally posted by PC Rat:
    Froggy,
    I am curious about installing the bowl pressure guage- how, where etc. - drill and tap for a sender?
    If you are concerned about overloading the pump, wouldn't the intake be a more suitable place for a pressure guage?
    Wouldn't the bowl pressure guage benefit more for lack of loading or nozzle tuning?
    Not entirely sure myself. From what I have gleaned from Mike, The bowl pressure should be a within a certain psi range for a given RPM/nozzle size/impeller. He has the formula pretty much down, and claims that knowing the bowl pressure will tell you about intake pressure as well. Above the range will indicate too much bowl pressure, either because of an over aggressive loader grate, or improperly designed shoe. This pressure actually reduces the impellers efficiency supposedly, although I don't see how to be honest. In addition, a poor bowl pressure could indicate cavitation, air leak, or water blowing by a loose wear ring. Either way, the bowl gauge will tell. I don't know where it is plumbed, or how, but Mike's sounds portable. I think he may be able to do it without drilling and tapping. Dunno. I will cough up the specs next Tuesday when everyone is back from Thanksgiving.
    Squirts up!

SOUTHWIND377
    The intake pressure is all I would be concerned about I have my pump tapped on the suction housing half way between the intake and the hand cover at about 11:00 if looking towards the back of the boat. During wide open throttle I have about 25 psi. But I have a big loader and I am nozzled down to 3 1/8". I don't know the exact specs on different combinations of loaders and nozzles but I due no that there is an I ideal range to run in and overloading the pump will only cause you to lose efficiency.

PC Rat
    Froggystyle,
    Did you find out anymore information about mounting the bowl pressure gauge or a suction pressure gauge? Mounting locations or ideal pressures?

Bense468
    Do you just use an electric oil pressure gauge and sender to keep an eye on the pressure of the pump. Is it bowl pressure or intake pressure? I would think that if you are worried about to muxh pressure at the impeller it would be the intake. But I have also heard people say bowl pressure. You need to find the right bowl pressure but still have volume. But you do that with nozzle reducers. So keeping an eye on intake pressure is something to think about I guess. You may be pushing to much water without spinning your impeller enough to rid of the water. To big of shoe with not enough balls.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast