Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: I Emailed Merc / 496HO soot

desertbird
    It looks like this thread is going the way of the rest of the 496 Soot threads....
    --- --- NOWHERE!!! --- ---
    K&N this, 409 that, You wax while I dry FOOEY :yuk:
    I use the Simple Green "All Purpose" wipes....BFD : :angry2: I still got nasty black $hit all over the boat every time I pull out......
    B30, any more info outta Merc? You know we talked a lot about the Whipple Kit, but as time rolls on it looks like 60% of the whippled motors meltdown after 100 hours :cry: Read thru and see the comments by Raylar. I seem to trust his posts, even if he gains to sell more kits... http://www2.***boat.com/forums/showt...&highlight=496
    Whipple? Well, no thanks, I'll stick with a sooty 70MPH if that's the case!
    Anyway, I thought I'd let ya'll know I am still monitoring this thread.
    L8R

Beer-30
    Well, Merc emailed back. Said they appologize for the length of time. They said any technical issues will have to be handled by the authorized dealer. That a dealer can contact Tech Service if it cannot be resolved at the service center.
    I'm going to use it Saturday, so I may just leave the transom dirty and take it to the dealer Monday.

voodoomedman
    Meguir's Fiberglass deck and hull cleaner. When my boat was under break-in period that stuff would take the black right off the transom.

Not So Fast
    I'm with D.B. on the Simple Green although I didn't know about the wipes but will find them. As for Merc this is just another case of "we have a problem but let the techs work on it bullshit" If you have any success let us know B-30 but you will probably get the Merc runaround as usual, been there and done that :cry: :cry: NSF

Beer-30
    I'm with D.B. on the Simple Green although I didn't know about the wipes but will find them. As for Merc this is just another case of "we have a problem but let the techs work on it bullshit" If you have any success let us know B-30 but you will probably get the Merc runaround as usual, been there and done that :cry: :cry: NSF
    Well, I am determined to run it's course. Going against my beliefs, I am going to leave the transom dirty after using it this next Saturday. Then take it to dealer on Monday. Maybe that will help.

Not So Fast
    B-30, Good luck but if I read this post right Merc has had and also known of this problem for a couple of years now and if they are as good as they think they are then they should have addressed this some time ago. My Magic is a late July 04 delivery so I would think the soot should have been resovled by now I have had nothing but bad luck in dealing with Merc on any issues and this will probably turn out the same, especially since it's not a BLUE MOTOR By the way do you remember the part # for the K&N filter? I was going to get one anyway, Thanks NSF

desertbird
    B-30, Good luck but if I read this post right Merc has had and also known of this problem for a couple of years now and if they are as good as they think they are then they should have addressed this some time ago. My Magic is a late July 04 delivery so I would think the soot should have been resovled by now I have had nothing but bad luck in dealing with Merc on any issues and this will probably turn out the same, especially since it's not a BLUE MOTOR By the way do you remember the part # for the K&N filter? I was going to get one anyway, Thanks NSF
    K&N P/N 59-5005 K&N (http://www.knfilters.com/marine/boats.htm)
    I got mine from Vic Hubbard Speed and Marine. Best price I found (online)
    59-5005 (http://vichubbard.com/shop/home.php?...ction=0&page=5)
    Vic Hubbard Speed & Marine
    Phone: (800)683-1646
    Fax: (510)887-6322
    URL: www.vichubbard.com
    No, i am not affiliated, I just pass on info from companies that treat customers right!

Sane Asylum
    B30............
    This is kindof a bump and kindof a quick note about the soot..........I went through every step with Merc and their help line. They too referred me to an authorized dealer that only wanted about $200 to tell me my computer is fine.
    Had both of my ECM's checked and they were both fine........Funny eh?? The authorized stealer stated that he could swap the ECM's out for about $600 each.
    Merc said sorry, but if the ECM was OK. I finally gave up. The help line isn't going to help. Best thing to do is get in touch with a regional rep and see if you can get his sympathy.
    Keep us updated............

Beer-30
    Thanks Sane! Next step will be next week, so we'll see.

Kachina26
    Well, the way I would word it on a GM repair order is VOS. Vehicle Operating to Specifications. Sometimes, normal operation is not a desireable operation. But, that's the way it is. Kinda like when you hit the recirc button on the AC control head and the compressor kicks on. You don't want cold air, you just want to eliminate the fumes from that stinking diesel truck in front of you. Or, like when I replace the memory seat module on an 05 Yukon. Before I change it, your seats, radio, a/c and mirrors all changed to your previous settings with the push of a button on your remote. Afterwards, none of that happens until you push the button on the inside door panel. And even at that, only the seat and mirrors move now! (Due to a software change). Or, perhaps like the slight whistle noise when the a/c compressor comes on on the GMC Canyon's. Normal, but not acceptable. (ok, they have a bulletin for that now. But, I had to tell a few customers to deal with it for the first year). I guess what I'm saying is, Mercruiser wants engine longevity, and they are achieving it through a rich mixture. So, we as consumers have to buck up and wipe the transom down more often. Don't waste another dime, just wipe it down.
    K26

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast