Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil Filter blowing oil

Wet Dream
    It appears that I'm blowing oil from the area of the filter. There is a little oil on the upper lip of the filter, but there is also oil on my motor mounts and on the stringers. It even reached the gunnels. The oil pressure seems fine, 55psi cold, 40 hot. Anyone want to take a stab at it?

Thunderbutt
    Wet Dream:
    It appears that I'm blowing oil from the area of the filter. There is a little oil on the upper lip of the filter, but there is also oil on my motor mounts and on the stringers. It even reached the gunnels. The oil pressure seems fine, 55psi cold, 40 hot. Anyone want to take a stab at it? The fly wheel will put oil in places you have never seen. When you put the filter on did you seal the top with oil? Is the filter cracked?

TahitiSteve
    Based on the amount of oil I got when I did it a week or so ago this probably isn't your problem, or your post would have read "HOLY SHIT oil flying EVERYWHERE HELP!!!!" But is there a chance the gasket from your last filter stuck to the block, and not the filter when you removed it and you now have 2 gaskets there?

Wet Dream
    Tahiti, thats one thing I always check for. 2 seals aren't twice as good It didn't do it last year, and this is the same filter, so I'm wondering if there might be a crack in the seal.

wideopen545
    bill do you have the lines plumbed the right way just a thought
    hey we got some more door prizes give me a call this week at home not the cell after 8.00 pm tim

Wet Dream
    No, the water is plumbed, not the oil yet. I'm thinking it might be a cracked seal on the filter. I didn't notice it until it was back on the trailer, but buying a new oil filter is useless since it won't be used with the new coller system. It takes a different filter.

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
    oil filters are cheap insurance. I suggest buying a new one and if it solves the problem great if not you are only out a few bucks. Keep it simple.
    Omega

carreraboat
    should you cool the oil then filter it or filter it then cool it or does it mater

Thunderbutt
    carreraboat:
    should you cool the oil then filter it or filter it then cool it or does it mater I don't think it makes any differance. On my boat the water goes into the cooler first. I couldn' cool the oil after the filter, so I'm confused.

Wet Dream
    Mine is actually going to be cooled before filtering. Nothing like Cold Filtered Beer...I mean oil. Same principal right?
    Cold filtered beer = happy people
    Cold filtered oil = happy engine

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast