Thread: New (To Me) Omega, Need some help!

Kamakazi Ken
    I Just bought this 1979 21' open bow omega 454 w/Jaquzzi pump I belive the motor is stock.
    I had to rebuild the carb right off the bat. New gaskets, pumps and powervalves (Holly DP). Changed plugs and oil.
    The previous owner claimed he could cruise at 4000 rpm around 48-55 mph. The orignal Hardin Book for the boat say's it is rated at 5000 rpm/333 hp.
    My problem is that I can only get 3100 rpm and about 35 mph @ WOT. :supp:
    My other boat is a 1973 19' Witchcraft w/a 460 panther jet the engine is tired and in need of a rebuild but it would stomp this omega :hammer2:
    I know that this omega is a heavier boat with a little less HP. but it should do better than this.
    The only other thing I can tell you is the carb is not orignal, the stock manifold is a spread bore and the current carb is a square bore. I do have and extra spread bore holley if you think that is the issue.
    Any advice on this will help.
    Thanks K.K.
    Ken :clover:
    PS I boat at 7500' elevation and I did lean out the air mixture.

Cas
    Ken,
    What model Jacuzzi and what size impeller is in it?
    what kind of exhaust?
    There's a lot more to it than just the engine, as you probably already know.
    I also noticed you list your location as the Rockies. What elevation are you running at?

Kamakazi Ken
    Hey Cas,
    Just looked at the pump and there is no model # on the plate just a serial # 93920056/A I guess the A is for an A impeller?
    I do not belive the Pump is an orignal, there are some filled in holes under the boat at the intake.
    I'm not real sure about the impellers and how the sizes work.
    I boat at between 7000-8000 elevation kinda a short season
    Thanks
    K.K.

TJS
    Ken,
    Make sure the throttle blades are opening all the way when you step on the gas pedal. With the boat off have someone look down the carb. and someone in the drivers seat mash the gas pedal and take note of the throttle blades. Could be an adjustment of the cable and or the secondary opening adjustment on the carb. Hope this helps some.
    T.J.
    www.tjsperformance.com

Cas
    as TJ said, check the carb. It may not be set up for that altitude. Being the air is so thin way up there, your carb will need to be set-up pretty darn good. If you still have the boat with the Panther in it, how about switching the carb out from that one to try?
    It does sound as if the pump has an A impeller in it. For some more info on impellers, read the Impeller Help Please thread, it has some good info in it that may also help you out.

Kamakazi Ken
    Thanks guys, I already did the carb check and they were open all the way. We just got back from the lake a few mins. ago the boat ran pretty good with just me in it. With 5 kids 2 adults it ran pretty good also, just a little while to get on plane but not to bad considering the weight of the larger boat.
    Still only 3100 rpm at WOT though.
    I'll check out that thread.
    Thanks
    Ken

Ken F
    Ken,
    Just went through exactly the same thing you are with a 77 Omega "Suncatcher". (which is your open bow model)
    With lots of money and lots of help from Duane at Hi-tech performance in Wichita, It finally ran 72.3........
    I'm not going to go into what all I did to get it to that speed, because it doesn't sound like you are trying to make it fast, just a little faster family boat.
    Mine had a 460 and a Jacuzzi pump which had the "energizer kit installed before I bought the boat. Two things I can tell you to try, which gave me the most speed was a Snoot, and setback pump with rideplate.
    Since you are only turning in the low to mid 4's this tells me that your impeller is plenty for your boat which is a good thing. A heavier boat like these need a larger volume of water out the back. As Duane told me, more water backwards...more boat forward. simple. I'm not a chebby guy, so I'm not even going to try and advise you on how to gain power from your engine,
    but that is your major stumbling block. You need more power to spin your impeller up to around 48-5000 rpm.
    If you have any questions about it, shoot me an e-mail. I went all the way through mine, including new floor, stringers, interior, wiring, pump set-back, bottom blueprinting ect, ect, ect!!!
    Where in the Rockies are you??? My brother lives in Evergreen.
    KenAndEmmFoster@cs.com
    Ken F

Kamakazi Ken
    Ken, thanks for responding. I'll write you later, on the way out to take the girls shopping I can only get 3100 rpm and my guess is 35-40 mph.
    It is running better now with some of the tweeks on the carb.
    I'm about 1 1/2 hours NW of him in the mountains
    So far im learning B/T I still like my 460 in my whitchcraft better.