Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FUEL PUMP BS

OC PARTYCAT
    A FRIEND OF MINE HAS A 1991 24' COMMANDER WITH A 7.4/BRAVO 1.ON A RECENT TRIP TO HAVASU HIS FUEL PUMP WENT BAD.HE TOOK THE BOAT TO (IWONTSAY)AND THEY TOLD HIM THE CAMSHAFT THAT RUNS THE PUMP WAS ALSO BAD.AFTER HIM TELLING ME THE PRICE TO FIX (ABOUT 800.00) I TOLD HIM TO RIP THAT WHOLE MERC CONTRAPTION OF A FUEL PUMP OUT OF THE BOAT AND GET A ELECTRIC PUMP OR BOLT A NEW ONE RIGHT TO THE SIDE OF THE MOTOR. HE WENT BACK TO THE MECH. TO TELL HIM "PUT AN ELECTRIC ONE ON" THE MECH. REPLY "YOU CANNOT PUT AN ELECTRIC FUEL PUMP ON THE MOTOR THERE IS TOO MUCH PRESSURE. YOUR ONLY OPTION IS TO FIX THE MERC. FUEL PUMP." SOO ABOUT 800.00 LATER HE HAS A NEW ONE ON. I WORK ON ENGINES ALOT AND KNOW THIS GUY HAS TO BE FULL OF #@$#
    MY EXPERIENCE IS WITH CAR MOTORS NOT BOATS.
    WHAT IS THE DIFF AS FAR AS FUEL PUMPS GO? THIS WHOLE DEAL THAT MY BUD HAS GONE THROUGH SUCKS. AM I RIGHT??? THERE IS A THING OUT THERE CALLED A REGULATOR RIGHT?

spectras only
    party cat ,that mechanic is full of bs.You can get electric pumps with built in regulator,he just wanted to sell his product only

OC PARTYCAT
    I KNOW IT IS A BUNCH OF BS! THE GUY GAVE MY BUD A T-SHIRT TO MAKE HIM FEEL BETTER ABOUT THE WHOLE SITUATION.
    [This message has been edited by OC PARTYCAT (edited July 06, 2001).]

spectras only
    partycat,I would contact Jim and ask him what was involved to address your friends problem.I assume your friend's engine is a carburated model with a mechanical fuelpump.By removing the pump it's easy to see if the plunger moves while turning the engine over.If it doesn't than the lobe is gone and you just block off the pump acces,and install an electric fuelpump with an internal regulator [carter,mallory etc...]I don't believe Jim would put his reputation on the bend over a simple solution.Maybe he'll have a talk with his mechanic if there was an alternative to solve your friends problem?

superdave013
    Jim is a straight up guy. I have never seen a US cost guard approved electric fuel pump. That might be a reason why he would not install it on an enclosed engine. Unlike your cars, fumes build up in the engine compartment and BOOM when the pump is turned on. That would be the only reason that I could see as we all know an electric pump and a regulator would be ok otherwise. You an I can install one on our boats but a shop has to much liability at stake.

OC PARTYCAT
    I REALLY DO NOT LIKE TO BAD MOUTH ANYONE BUT THE TRUTH IS THE TRUTH. HE TRUSTED HIS WORD AND SPENT A LOAD OF MONEY ON SOMETHING THAT COULD HAVE BEEN 150.00

OC PARTYCAT
    SUPERDAVE,IF YOU GO TO EDDIE MARINE SITE THERE HAVE A COUPLE USCG APPROVED PUMPS. THEY ARE OUT THERE.ANYWAY WHY WOULD YOU NOT BE ABLE TO JUST BOLT A MECH. PUMP TO THE SIDE OF THE BLOCK AND USE THE ENGINES CAM TO RUN THE PUMP,INSTEAD OF SOME BIG OL PIECE OF CRAP THAT MERC CAME OUT WITH TO MAKE A FORTUNE.

Havasu Hangin'
    Originally posted by superdave013:
    I have never seen a US cost guard approved electric fuel pump.
    I don't know about Coast Guard approved...
    http://www.holley.com/HiOctn/ProdLin...P/712-801.html
    http://www.holley.com/HiOctn/ProdLin...P/712-802.html
    http://www.holley.com/HiOctn/ProdLin...P/712-815.html

OC PARTYCAT
    HOLLEY PART # HL-712-801 "USCG APPROVED"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OC PARTYCAT
    THE REASON NOT TO INSTALL AN ELECTRIC PUMP WAS "THERE IS TOO MUCH PRESURE" NOW THAT RIGHT THERE IS BS SINCE YOU CAN EITHER BUY ONE PRESET OR BUY A REGULATOR AND ADJUST. I CALL IT AS I SEE IT.IS IT POSIBLE TO THROW AWAY THAT WHOLE MERC SETUP AND BOLT A MECHANICAL PUMP TO THE BLOCK AND LET THE CAM RUN IT (LIKE IT WAS MENT TO DO)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast