Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Additional Bilge pump question???

BarryMac
    After what I am hoping was a small mishap this weekend I am in need of a second Bilge pump, I would like to install one that has a float so it can kick on and off as needed, I am guessing that 500gph is sufficient, my question is where should I buy it from? any particular brand that you would recommend? Are they fairly easy to install?

HCS
    The 750 Rule is the shit or better.

uvindex
    After what I am hoping was a small mishap this weekend I am in need of a second Bilge pump, I would like to install one that has a float so it can kick on and off as needed, I am guessing that 500gph is sufficient, my question is where should I buy it from? any particular brand that you would recommend? Are they fairly easy to install?First place I'd go is West Marine (or www.westmarine.com). Yes, they're simple to install -- assuming you have power and ground available there and that you can access the mounting location, of course. Make sure you wire it to a fused, unswitched circuit.

Captain no fun
    I don't know what kind of boat you have, but there's never enough pump. I've got (2) 2000 gpm Rule pumps wired to one switch, right @ the jet foot, a high water switch at stringer height, with a LOUD alarm. A watertight bulkhead and one more 2000 on a manual/auto switch under the floor on an 18' Hondo. Ive sunk before though. Lots of pump is good, auto switches are a must so you don't need to see the water to have the pumps come on! Go buy the pumps!

HCS
    Here it is. The 750 Rule (http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...4541%3B4542%3B 4543%3B4544%3B4545%3B4636%3B4672&catalogId=10001&p arentCategoryId=11&categoryId=75&evtype=SaAnswer&c oncept_id=4912&tree_id=52&count=1&langId=-1&catgroup_id=75&group=0&storeId=10001&ddkey=Click Info)
    West Marine.

BADBLOWN572
    I would run probably a 1k gph Rule automatic pump and mount it in the back right next to your jet pump. Just on the opposite side of the existing one.
    1) first grind off the gelcoat that is on the floor of the boat and scuff up the bottom of the bilge pump.
    2) mix some 2 part epoxy and stick the bilge pump down to the spot that you ground off the gel. Let set for 24 hours
    3) Run your hose to a through hull fitting
    4) Run the wires. Ground to motor & Hot directly to either the starter or to the battery switch. Make sure it is constant on when your batteries are on.
    ***Don't turn batteries off at night if you have an auto bilge pump & Don't put it directly to the batteries. Will drain the batteries down when in storage***
    The best place to get the pumps would either be from L&L Marine in Corona or from Fox Marine in Bellflower.

BarryMac
    Thanks guys, I really appreciate the info, I will get the 1000gph pump and install it, sounds easy enough, even for a nitwit like me...

a catered life
    dont forget to try rexone at rex marine

mickeyfinn
    Do you need two pumps or just want to have one one a float? You can buy just the float and hook it to a three position switch. One is off, one is auto (float operated) and one is manual (always on). This way you can turn it off during storage, run it manually if it gets rain water in it uncovered somewhere or keep it in auto while on the water.

Dana Marine Products

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast