Thread: Where to get headers

BOFH
    I have a 1964 Chris Craft cruiser, and I need to replace the exhaust manifolds soon. (as in rusting now) I will be building up these engines soon, (as in a year or so as income dictates… I got spares to rebuild while boating) and want to get headers for them. Right now, stock 283s. Will be “warm” 327s. I need torque, not raw power, as I plan on a 5000 rpm soft red line. Where is a good source, that will not break the bank for a boat that will never break any speed records?

Infomaniac
    Eddie Marine exhaust are priced well and work well also. My friend Richard can get you a deal on them. Richard's Performance Machine (RPM) 918-485-6393

hack job
    i would run lighting headers for the money they can be beat but if you are going to go with manifold go with the emcos or the stanless marine that is just my opion .
    heres a page to look at those things www.cpperformance.com (http://www.cpperformance.com)

jeff-in-ky
    Why not just get some mercruiser stock factory take-offs, where someone has switched to aftermarket exhaust? On your motors I seriously doubt that you would see any noticeable gains going with a high $$$ exhaust system. Kodiak also makes an inexpensive exhaust system.
    JB

BOFH
    Right now, you are correct. However, I have a pair of “spare” 327’s from my old boat which found a log on an otherwise nice day… I plan on building those out. Obviously, they are not going to be high RPM offshore racers, but they will be done well.
    I plan on using all of my old racer tricks to make a set up with gobs of torque, very high efficiency, and good dependability. This will lead to odd things like high compression, thermal barrier coatings, water/alcohol injection, and stock crank and pistons. :-) The plan is a soft redline at 5000 RPM, and a %25 boost in HP with a %50 boost in torque.
    All this to save at the pump for day to day (hey getting on plane faster saves gas, right? ) and still hive a nice top end for a 22,000 pound, two bedroom, all wood house. (hehe) This is why I want to avoid the stock logs they call exhaust. However, I am open to input as all my racing experience is on the hard stuff.
    [This message has been edited by BOFH (edited March 09, 2002).]

Miguel
    Does anyone know where I can get headers for a Ford 351 5.8L?

Bondo
    Originally posted by BOFH:
    I have a 1964 Chris Craft cruiser, and I need to replace the exhaust manifolds soon. (as in rusting now) I will be building up these engines soon, (as in a year or so as income dictates… I got spares to rebuild while boating) and want to get headers for them. Right now, stock 283s. Will be “warm” 327s. I need torque, not raw power, as I plan on a 5000 rpm soft red line. Where is a good source, that will not break the bank for a boat that will never break any speed records?
    as jeff states about the used M/C manifolds, only take it a step further, take a set of M/C center risers, clean them up a bit,(port matching,etc.) then send it out the transom, thru 4" pipes.. they'll breath plenty enough for your app....they can be found on ebay, etc., in the $200./$400. range.. then spend the $1000. or so you saved on the engines..!!