Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 427 FORD???

GofastRacer
    oldphart:
    It really depends on what 427 it is, There were low risers, medium risers , high risers, tunnell Ports and SOHC's. Some of the late 67 and replacements were really 390's. If it has cross bolts for the mains in the side of the block and screwin freeze plugs it was a race engine and if the crank & bore are standard its worth 5K some of the early 427's were not side oilers and were fancy 406's thats the low end, in good shape 1K.
    If the cranks 40-40 and the bore is out 60 its worth $43.00 per ton A little correction here!. An early 427 is not a fancy 406!. Both were top oiler's and had the relief valve in the block. Some late 406's had cross bolted mains, early ones didn't, all 427's had cross bolted mains. The EARLY 406 is an early High Performance 390 design block but 406's has a 428 (4.13) bore and a 390-427 (3.78) stroke. The 427 has a 4.23 bore!. In 68 the 427(the last year) came with a hydraulic cam(67 blocks can be converted real easy)!. Replacements were 427's until they ran out and then the 428 became the replacement!..

GofastRacer
    058:
    GofastRacer:
    058:
    If it were a overhead cam it would have "SOHC" [Single over-head cam] on the cam covers and have the sparkplugs go thru the top of the cam covers. If it is a cammer it is worth $10-12K on up depending on condition. Seen cammers go for as much as $25K. Complete running wedge engines $4-7K depending on what heads and other parts it has. Ain't that the shits!, when I lived in Detroit back in 70, a friend worked for Ford in the racing area and when they shit canned the racing deal, I could have had as many Cammers I want in the crate for $300 a piece, just bring a truck and money!. Woudn't you know it, didn't have a FKN pot to piss in at the time!.. burningm burningm I know the feeling Art...A good friend of mine had 2 cammers, one was Hilborn injected and the other was carbed. He offered both to me for $5K...and he tossed in a Howard flat with the deal, he didn't want to bother with pulling the carbed cammer out of it....same deal no pot..no window to toss it out of. Yeah that hurts!.. burningm

Floored
    ford also sold alot of 427's for industrial use and for years you could sometimes find one in a field pumping water before they switched over to diesel. ran a few center oilers in my youth and when prepped right they ran hard and were almost indestructable. ran 1 at 14-1 on the street with a tunnel wedge intake in a 66 fairlane gt with n2o life was good good God I've gotten old

GofastRacer
    Yeah, I wonder how many of those are still laying around in fields?. I had a 66 Fairlane 390GT, that was my favorite car, sure had a lot of fun with it!..

GofastRacer:
    Yeah, I wonder how many of those are still laying around in fields?. I had a 66 Fairlane 390GT, that was my favorite car, sure had a lot of fun with it!.. Art, Thats my latest project, a 66 Fairlane GTA. I just finished the short block for it last week. It'll be the street beater that my 67 Fairlane isn't. Doing a very mild Hyd. cammed 390, CJ valves in the orig. heads, alum. manifold and a 735 Holley. Still need to build the C6 for it. Body is in primer and interior is origonal rip & tear. Havin' more fun.

Floored
    I'm not the only one who loves 66-67 fairlanes. I've got a 67 gta ragtop stored at my parents house in Ill. Gotta finish 1 more project then start on it. People have less respect for an FE ford than an olds. I love being the underdog

GofastRacer
    058:
    GofastRacer:
    Yeah, I wonder how many of those are still laying around in fields?. I had a 66 Fairlane 390GT, that was my favorite car, sure had a lot of fun with it!.. Art, Thats my latest project, a 66 Fairlane GTA. I just finished the short block for it last week. It'll be the street beater that my 67 Fairlane isn't. Doing a very mild Hyd. cammed 390, CJ valves in the orig. heads, alum. manifold and a 735 Holley. Still need to build the C6 for it. Body is in primer and interior is origonal rip & tear. Havin' more fun. Very cool, I always thought the 66 was nicer than the 67. That thing ought to scream!. I remember running against the GTA's, used to smoke em with the 4 speed, back then there were no hot rod stuff for the automatics. BTW, you are going to use 427 adjustable rockers right??..

GofastRacer
    Floored:
    I'm not the only one who loves 66-67 fairlanes. I've got a 67 gta ragtop stored at my parents house in Ill. Gotta finish 1 more project then start on it. People have less respect for an FE ford than an olds. I love being the underdog Right on, another Failane rescued, damn I wish I still had mine!.. burningm

If you don't have SOME FE power in the garage, you got old. Nothing beats taking the GT out on a Sunday, banging 2nd gear of the toploader, and lifting the wheels! I, for one, enjoy being traction challenged diue to excessive horsepower.

GofastRacer:
    058:
    GofastRacer:
    Yeah, I wonder how many of those are still laying around in fields?. I had a 66 Fairlane 390GT, that was my favorite car, sure had a lot of fun with it!.. Art, Thats my latest project, a 66 Fairlane GTA. I just finished the short block for it last week. It'll be the street beater that my 67 Fairlane isn't. Doing a very mild Hyd. cammed 390, CJ valves in the orig. heads, alum. manifold and a 735 Holley. Still need to build the C6 for it. Body is in primer and interior is origonal rip & tear. Havin' more fun. Very cool, I always thought the 66 was nicer than the 67. That thing ought to scream!. I remember running against the GTA's, used to smoke em with the 4 speed, back then there were no hot rod stuff for the automatics. BTW, you are going to use 427 adjustable rockers right??.. Nahhhhhh...non adjustables for this one, The 67 has the adjustable rockers [on a 2 X 4bbl Medium Riser 427]

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast