Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cav. Plate Material Question?

sawtooth
    I am going to start making new plates for my boat and was wondering what to use, stainless or aluminum. Any info on pros and cons for both would be a big help, boat is a 21' cruiser. Thanks
    BTW, is longer better ? (I know what your going to say, I ment for the plates) :jawdrop:

J540
    I am going to start making new plates for my boat and was wondering what to use, stainless or aluminum. Any info on pros and cons for both would be a big help, boat is a 21' cruiser. Thanks
    BTW, is longer better ? (I know what your going to say, I ment for the plates) :jawdrop:
    S.S That way you only make them one time they wont where out.
    make them 10" 12" longer than the transom. What kind of HP do you have?http://www2.***boat.com/image_center...16_IMG-med.JPG

sawtooth
    If things go as planed it should be around 800-850 hp. (twin tubro deal).

J540
    Then go 12" long. thats what mine are in the pic,. 850, what size motor (cu)

sawtooth
    I was thinking 572ci. will 3/16" thickness work for the plates or is 1/4" better. The ones on the boat right now are 3/16" alum. Thanks for the info.

Dave Sammons
    These are 1/4" stainless. As far as length, the ones pictured are 10" at the outside edges and 12" at the center. You have to take into consideration the angle of the transom vs the bottom, this one was 97 degrees. You want the plates to be square across the back or it won't look right and the turnbuckle angles will be all be different. Take a look a the "SpectraBrent's boat is coming together" thread for a couple more pictures.
    http://www2.***boat.com/image_center...20/1517dn1.jpg

These are 1/4" stainless. As far as length, the ones pictured are 10" at the outside edges and 12" at the center. You have to take into consideration the angle of the transom vs the bottom, this one was 97 degrees. You want the plates to be square across the back or it won't look right and the turnbuckle angles will be all be different. Take a look a the "SpectraBrent's boat is coming together" thread for a couple more pictures.
    http://www2.***boat.com/image_center...20/1517dn1.jpg
    What is your plate alloy of choice for cav plates, engine plates, brackets etc.......6061-0,t6,t65..7075-t6.......? Seen and welded alot of cracked pieces, but not sure what the alloy actually was....Thanks--- Steve

Dave Sammons
    What is your plate alloy of choice for cav plates, engine plates, brackets etc.......6061-0,t6,t65..7075-t6.......? Seen and welded alot of cracked pieces, but not sure what the alloy actually was....Thanks--- Steve
    6061-t6 works well for almost every application within an installation. I use the 7075 for washplates. The cracking I've seen has come from a mis-designed part or from using to thin of a material for the application. I'm 3/8ths guy when it comes to motorplates, although alot of guys use 5/16ths, especially in unblown applications. You'll see alot of the circleboats rigged with 5/16ths, just not my choice of a place to cut a little weight and I'll take a little more rigidity as well.

GofastRacer
    6061-t6 works well for almost every application within an installation. I use the 7075 for washplates. The cracking I've seen has come from a mis-designed part or from using to thin of a material for the application. I'm 3/8ths guy when it comes to motorplates, although alot of guys use 5/16ths, especially in unblown applications. You'll see alot of the circleboats rigged with 5/16ths, just not my choice of a place to cut a little weight and I'll take a little more rigidity as well.
    Yep 7075 for the blast plates and 3/8" for motor plates on anything other than a ski boat!..

Thanks Dave......Thanks Art....Your reply is greatly appreciated. I can see where my K has an issue or two-----will have to re-think...Thanks...Steve

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast