Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A little puzzled??

'78 gt boat
    I just bought my jet two weeks ago and I am a complete newb to the jet boat world. I bought it from Olympic boat centers in san jose ca. Not a single salesperson would take me for a sea trial, they were all scared of the motor!! (too loud they said. Didn't want to die!!) What a bunch of babies. I took it out for a 20 minute ride in the delta. It ran amazing. Afterwords I put it back out on the trailer and checked the oil the next morning. All I saw was milkshake!!!! I then took it back to them where they did a compression check. All cylinders were 155 or 160. They said they found water in 5 and 6. Does this mean head gasket? I don't think it has a pressure valve, just a T off of the thermo housing to the headers. The boat co. is stumped and they want to give me money back to have it fixed elsewhere. Any suggestions?

Keithb87
    is the exhaust Over transom or thru transom?

A few seemingly stupid questions need to be answered. As Keith asked, is the exhaust over transom or thru? If over, did you notice water coming out the collectors at idle when you had it out? Did you idle for extended periods of time? When you shut it off, did you notice quite a bit of water coming out the weep holes (ot's)? If TT's, did one side have considerably less water coming out of it than the other? Do you know the condition of the oil before you took it out?

'78 gt boat
    exhaust is over transom. I had a rough idle when we first took it out. Had to set it at about 1100rpm so it wouldn't die. Water was coming out of the exhaust at idle and the entire time i ran it. When I came back in it was only coming out of the drivers side. I did not check the oil before going out. Apperently the top end was re-built the end of last summer. A 60's+ man traded it in for a nicer riding boat. I am trying to post pics but keep getting error messages. :angry2:

bakerjet
    make sure you have a bassett T valve before the header injection lines it has a spring with a check ball and wont let any water in the exhaust until about 1800 rpm's gotta have it. you can get'em at rexmar.com. change your oil and clean out the line that was clogged or you pipes will turn blue.

'78 gt boat
    thanks for the info. I need to go over where the boat is sat or sun to check it out. I think it has a T on it. Not sure what it is. Do I need the water pressure regulator?

Aduner2
    Very nice boat GT! From the pictures, I noticed a couple of things:
    1) You have a thermostat housing thats missing some plumbing.
    2) no tee valve to the headers, only a tee fitting.
    Go to Bassettracing.com for their header plumbing diagram and how they operate. I've plumbed all my jets this way, never had problem with water in the oil.
    Might check to see if you a manual valves on the water inlet from the pump to the motor and the water dump line.
    Headers need to dry out @ idle, inject water around 1800 to 2000 rpm.
    Check the intake manifold bolts on the motor, could be leaking there also.
    Hope this helps

'78 gt boat
    great advice. If you look at the pic of the motor the t below the thermo housing actually goes to the headers right now. I should probably change that around huh? I will check if there is anything between the pump and the motor. Thanks again for the advice. Thid forum is a lot more help than the boat co. I bought it from.

Aduner2
    Yeah, that where the header valve need to go. As far as a pressure gauge goes, some peeps run them, however, if its plumbed correctly its not required.
    The discharge lines need to be larger than the inlet side to prevent pressure built-up in the motor.
    There's a lot of people with great info on this board, some drama, alot of fun.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast