Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 700HP 496 what do I need

mike37
    I want to build a 700hp 496
    and run on pump gas
    so I know there are a lot of you gear heads out there that can give me some good info
    so starting with a 496 block do I need a 4 bolt for 700hp I think hell yes
    then what crank rods pistons heads ext.
    give me a build list guys lets see what you can come up with
    this will a winter project for me and my sons
    and next Summer we will see how well the collective mind of hot bot can design a motor
    I need to start collecting parts so 496 block any one
    I have a ling on 496 mag short block but its not a 4bolt but I think thats not a good starting point and all the other part would be replaced

mike37
    I know about raylar and they are an option
    but would like to see what every one can come up with

jdf
    deep pocket's full of green back's

Beer-30
    deep pocket's full of green back's
    Yeah, other than money.......
    If you are gonna build what you WANT and want it to last, put aside $15-20K.

wet77
    Yeah, other than money.......
    If you are gonna build what you WANT and want it to last, put aside $15-20K.
    Just finished my 540 dart motor and yes sir $15K++++
    You might have to go dual carb and more compression, I got 700hp out of 540CI :frown:
    I did not go with cnc heads or port match the intake ect... so maybe if you did the little extras you can achieve your goal
    Also my cam is only a 688 mech roller
    Maybe more lift would benifit you :hammerhea
    Good luck and do not CHEAP out on anything I just learned my lesson on my cheaper mallory that died after 2 hours of run time :2purples:
    Changed to MSD pro billet and it runs great now.

blowngas
    $15-20K
    B.S.----for that kind of money you can build an all out aluminum race motor with almost new parts
    if you take your time and selectively buy when prices are right, you can build a nice 496 by buying from the various web sites classifieds and ebay---
    right now I have approx $1200 in roller cam (used), roller lifters (new), crane gold rockers (used), crand stud girdle (used), roller springs and retainers (used), dart intake (used) for a upgrade on a 496 for this winter---will still need to buy new pistons (12.5 to 1) and a dominator---have the rotating assembly balanced, put in new bearings and go run it----you can find 4 bolt caps used or go steel splayed caps with your block and have it line bored and buy a good new rotating assembly, heads and all for way less than 15-20k

mike37
    B.S.----for that kind of money you can build an all out aluminum race motor with almost new parts
    if you take your time and selectively buy when prices are right, you can build a nice 496 by buying from the various web sites classifieds and ebay---
    right now I have approx $1200 in roller cam (used), roller lifters (new), crane gold rockers (used), crand stud girdle (used), roller springs and retainers (used), dart intake (used) for a upgrade on a 496 for this winter---will still need to buy new pistons (12.5 to 1) and a dominator---have the rotating assembly balanced, put in new bearings and go run it----you can find 4 bolt caps used or go steel splayed caps with your block and have it line bored and buy a good new rotating assembly, heads and all for way less than 15-20k
    I know your right that why I'm looking to find a parts list
    so I can start looking
    and are you saying that you can make a 2bolt block into a 4bolt
    I was thinking its possible

Beer-30
    We're not talking just parts, here, killer. After you take all of those nice parts you have and spend 6-7K on block prep, balancing, clearancing, degreeing, porting.......you are right back at $15K. Ask anyone.

steelcomp
    All I can say to that is I'm LMFAO!!!!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast