Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: oil change

Tresguey
    i changed the oil today. (all friggin 16 quarts of it). my question is why does it drain so slow? i have a hose attached to the drain plug but it would prolly take 24 hours for it to drain if i didn't hook up a old holley blue guel pump to it. the feul pump is about dead. every time i use it it get really hot. anyone have a better way to change oil?

BrendellaJet
    is the oil hot? If you cant leave it there for 24 hrs, try a drill pump. They work really well...

Tresguey
    yeah the oil is hot but all it drains is about a quart an hour. unless i use the holley pump. then it take about half an hour.

DeputyDawg
    I would recommend a drill pump, or if you have a jetaway or can easily un hook your driveline start the motor up and get it good and warm then drain the oil and it will flow out nuch faster. The Holley pump will eventually burn up if you continue to use it that way because it wasn't designed to pump something as viscous as motor oil.
    Why do you have to run 16 quarts of oil? How big is your pan?

.....my question is why does it drain so slow? i have a hose attached to the drain plug but it would prolly take 24 hours for it to drain.....
    It drains so slow because the hollow bolt that connects the hose to the pan and the internal diameter of the hose are only about 1/4".
    I went through the same thing this week and swore I was going to find a better method. next time I am going to use one of those vacuum transfer pump deals. We use them at work and they work pretty fast.

sanger rat
    A air blow gun in the dip stick tube will help.

Tresguey
    the reason i use so much oil is because i have a 14 quart oil pan and a dual remote filter setup. i may try the blow gun it the dip stick. that sounds like it may work. if not i guess i will buy a drill pump.

Duane HTP
    Be careful with that blow gun deal. You can blow seals and gaskets out everywhere.

jtmarten
    I just picked up an Oil Boy, self-contained oil pump/changer. Works great through the dipstick tube. I had to use the smallest diameter tube because of a small kink in the dipstick tube, and it still only took about a 1/2 hour to drain the 5qts. Using the larger suction tube would probably cut the time in half. About the best $58 I've spent.
    You could also go with a remote drain plug, if your pan has a drain plug fitting. Those just extend through the drain hole in the jet, remove the cap and drain into a bucket.

BigBlockBaja
    i may try the blow gun it the dip stick. that sounds like it may work. if not i guess i will buy a drill pump.
    :idea:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast