Thread: do I need a decent prop and rudder?

kielbasa
    Hi guys, still continuing with the restoration of my 1970 Century MKII....the boat originally came with some nibral 14x12 prop (sitting at the bottom of the lake right now), does it pay for me to purchase some name brand or aftermarket prop (like OJ or something from Ron Hill, etc)? Also same thing with the rudder, the one that's on now is bent pretty bad, so if I'm going to replace it, should I might as well install something else than stock, does it pay to make the leading edge razor sharp, or is that a waste of time? I guess what I'm getting at, will these things improve speed by a half mile an hour, or make my boat a 45 mph instead of a 38 mph boat?? I don't know enough about this stuff to know if it's worth doing, so any help is appreciated! Thanks!
    P.S. Don't know if it matters, but here are some specs....318 Mopar with fresh Paragon trans and Vdrive that I just rebuilt (1:1 ratio)...max rpm for the trans is 4000 and 260 hp.....I rebuilt engine and with my combination of parts makes 252 hp at 4000 rpm...

lucky
    If Your Up Around 500+ Hp All Steel Running Gear - If Your A Ski Boat ( Sounds Like You Are ???_ And Never Plan On Hitting 50 Mph - Then Roll With The Nibril - Otherwise Steel -

Moneypitt
    The rudder will have little effect to your top speed, However the prop could have a great deal to do with the performance of your boat. If I were you I would contact Ron Hill, or someone else with his knowledge and experience, and run your numbers by him. Get a prop expert's opinion as to what "should" work, and give it a try. Most prop builders will work with you as you experiment to find what is just right for your boat and power. As you purchase a new,(different) prop be sure to ask if you will be able to trade it back for a different one if it doesn't seem to be right for you. Most will agree to an exchange or 2 as you sort it out. ...........MP

dmontzsta
    Doesnt it always pay to have good parts?

Moneypitt
    I think the paragon trans will be the weak link in this combination. However, the rudder is quite important and should be 1) straight 2) checked for cracks and 3) properly supported INSIDE the boat...........MP

coolchange
    After all else is said and done, the true art is in the prop.