Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Spico Boats

Bt273
    he wont notice if its gone with all the crap back there,,,besides we can bring a beer poster over and distract him....
    Who's speaking?

SUI-CY-COLE DIMARCO
    Who's speaking?
    yo daddy thats who!

Heatseeker
    he wont notice if its gone with all the crap back there,,,besides we can bring a beer poster over and distract him....
    I say we round up a couple of them beer posters and go for it!
    That'll make nice boat if someone gets on it soon. Otherwise, it'll rot away.

Her454
    I'll see if I can dig up the old thread when I first posted about mine, had alot of great information in it and lots of pics.
    Here you go.............
    http://www2.***boat.com/forums/showt...ighlight=Spico

napabob
    A family member is looking at a 1960 19' Spico.
    Anybody have anyinformation on these boats?
    Kern County Library
    Local History Room
    Bakersfield Californian newspaper article of 10/14/60
    Spico Boats
    Joe Glover
    9906 Rosedale Highway
    Bakersfield, Calif.
    Phone FA 7-8487
    The company originated by RL Smith in partnership with Sill Properties, employs 14 skilled workmen. It specialized in the manufacture of inboard motorboats, fiberglass, powered typically by V8 Chevrolet motors. Capable of 50mph, used chiefly for water skiers. Planning on expansion, a new building of corrugated steel being moved into place to accommodate increased production needs.
    Spico for sale:
    http://www.craigslist.org/eby/boa/107229989.html

lucky
    A family member is looking at a 1960 19' Spico.
    Anybody have anyinformation on these boats?
    where those built in Mexico ? :jawdrop:

Kurtis500
    where those built in Mexico ? :jawdrop:
    Was there a Mexico when it was built :idea:

napabob
    I am posting for the owner.
    Spico boat needs a good home.
    Call Kirk at (415) 203-7702

napabob
    I am posting for the owner.
    Spico boat needs a good home.
    Call Kirk at (415) 203-7702
    I have added a contact number

I am a lake racer in Michigan living elsewhere right now

Cool I Own a Spico Flatbottom V Drive and wanted more info too.

I OWN A 66 SPICO, I see this is an old post. I was looking for Spico Info too. I own a 1966 Spico Flat bottom being redone with a modified bottom like the new Hondo flat bottom and a Blown Enderle Injected 427 Chevy. My friend sold it to me and came from California and said Spico may have held a 127 MPH record in 1966. My boat came all the way from California and had a 409 Chevy with the standard Carter AFB dual quads from 1965 I had 12:1 Pistons Blueprinted and Balanced with a Isky Roller Cam around 326 Duration 560 lift and ran on Airplane Fuel, Through the back Edlebrock M-21 Aluminum Exhaust. Engine had a chrome crank Boat is probably what spurred Hondo and Stevens as they look similar but Hondo is smaller sleeker and newer. My boat ran around 100 MPH on Houghton Lake Michigan and beat everything it went up against except a Modified jet with a Blow 494 Ford so I pulled the engine to go to my L88 that was in my 70 Chevelle seen as I blew the transmission in half in that proving I could scare somebody LOL! I added a runner stringer to the boat to hopefully smooth the ride a bit. Other then that the boat is excellent if I find the Pictures I’ll put them on the net. Engine was perfect and ran flawless since rebuild almost like I had just shut off the key. Boat was well known I where a Skull and Bones on the side and from a distance looked like a cop boat. My buddy said he heard it one day and said man what the heck do the cops got in that boat idling around. It pretty much rode on the prop but we skied behind it etc and was nice. Has a Cassel V Drive I’m guessing 20 percent overdrive boat idled at about 25-30 MPH. I usually warmed it up then put it in gear while was restarting. I wouldn’t doubt a small block could easily get the boat to 80 MPH if it’s turning up around 6 grand etc. My boat had no lag with the 409 and took the Blown Ford from a 40 MPH Dig till he must of hit about 9 Grand then he barely got me. I didn’t feel bad heard the Guy owned Goodyear or something and has since passed on. I didn’t have anywhere near as much money in my boat. I’ve since went with major candy apple airbrush Job and am going to add a Wing. I had all seats redone with a Skull and Bones sewn in by a upholster friend I knew. Boat is called the Vision of Death and I started painting a graveyard and flip flop Perl fog on the dash etc. Should be a prime looker when it’s all done. Esophageal Cancer inside my stomach took me down for 3 years I am finally getting back to working on things and want to finish the project soon. Thought I may consult with Eddie Hill about a few things. I saw him run his Texan Hydro right before he crashed etc setting the 229 MPH record. I just love an engine and Horsepower guy like that. I Love Big Engines and Blowers and boats. Some day I may have to build a 3000 H.P. piece of plywood to go Bass Fishen. My 427 is pretty close to Blown Fuel Specs but on Gas. Pretty much figure it will run around 8700 RPMs. If I prop it the way the drag boat racers were on similar boats. I would say Spico was the original Flat bottom Drag boat and Lake Racer. The style of the boat is nice Houghton Lake is 8 Miles by 5 Miles mostly 5 ft deep and gets 2.5 ft waves on it. I've been in rough water and never had a problem. I still have some M-21 Exhaust for sale for a 409 Chevy. Those are pretty rare. Cheers

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast