Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need Professional help !! :-)

MarineBoy
    It's been two years , 2 complete rebuilds, and 6 attempts later and I still can't stop the water from getting in my oil. :hammerhea
    Im at a point where I dont have the tools or knowledge
    I need a mechanic, advice, help, whatever I can get at this point, but a mechanic is highly perfered. I'm just at that point where i just dont know what else to do??? I live in Maryland and cant keep pouring money into mechanics that can only talk the talk. If you can help, please contact me, but here is the jist of it, I have a 455 Olds/ 600-650hp, Jet drive I keep getting water in my oil, Runs awsome in my driveway :-) ... The person who can fix this has a customer for life, I need a mechanic I can call my own :-))) I love and know boats but i am stumped with this. I just dont know enough about H/P engines and Jet drives, and actually at this point i feel i dont know much about anything. If you can help, I will fill you in with whatever you need to know. I just want to be on the water, is that so much to ask :rollside:
    Thanks everyone, JD

jelloboat
    It's been two years , 2 complete rebuilds, and 6 attempts later and I still can't stop the water from getting in my oil. :hammerhea
    Im at a point where I dont have the tools or knowledge
    I need a mechanic, advice, help, whatever I can get at this point, but a mechanic is highly perfered. I'm just at that point where i just dont know what else to do??? I live in Maryland and cant keep pouring money into mechanics that can only talk the talk. If you can help, please contact me, but here is the jist of it, I have a 455 Olds/ 600-650hp, Jet drive I keep getting water in my oil, Runs awsome in my driveway :-) ... The person who can fix this has a customer for life, I need a mechanic I can call my own :-))) I love and know boats but i am stumped with this. I just dont know enough about H/P engines and Jet drives, and actually at this point i feel i dont know much about anything. If you can help, I will fill you in with whatever you need to know. I just want to be on the water, is that so much to ask :rollside:
    Thanks everyone, JD
    Well, as much as I know about this stuff it sounds to me as if you have a cracked block or cracked head. you need to take the motor apart and have everything magnufluxed.

miketsouth
    Hey JD, where you been? We out there quite often, although we havent made it to the sandbar. You got my number why not call. If i dont know it i may find someone who does.
    You know i am no mechanic, but i am willing to give advice.
    If you are getting water in the oil, there are three possibilities that i know of:
    1. condensation
    2. reversion
    3. block
    a. overpressure
    b. gasket
    c. crack
    Condensation. This happens when the seawater or block is cool. Blowby contains water, that and humid air can condense on the internal surfaces of a cold block.
    I doubt this is your problem. Generally does not milk up the oil or cause a rise in level, but is seen as moisture/milk in the valve covers/pvc/ccv
    2. Reversion. A fair possibility. Water injected into the headers, under low throttle conditions, especially with a big cam will go backward and fill your block with water. Along with maybe you will loose an exhaust vavle or hydro the engine, it is something to be aware of.
    I have never have had injected headers, but know the story well. I even get it with my waterjacket headers. If i got it right, no water to the headers below 1500- 2000rpm, and then just enough to keep the chrome from blueing, as that is all it is there for.
    3a. Block overpressure.
    The jetpump is capable of putting over 100psi to your block. I understand it is very hard to get an olds to seal against any kind of pressure, the intake manifold and timing cover being the big offenders, even if they dont leak at low pressure, they will over about 15psi. It is common for people to just allow the jetpump to give all the water the block will handle. No good.
    You must install a block pressure gauge
    You must not exceed 15psi on an olds
    You must not throttle the water out of the block, but rather into the block
    You must install a block pressure gauge
    2b/c. Block gasket/crack.
    Again intake and timing cover gasket are common culprits, although the head gasket could do it. A cracked head/cylinder is not unheard of.
    When assembled you must not have a leaking gasket. The quick and dirty mikeT test is (after installing a block pressure gauge) to seal the block, fill with water, vent all air and pressurize to 15psi max. The test for no air is that even a few drops leaked at any point will drop the pressure drasticly. Put it to the test by bleeding a few drops and watch the pressure drop. Refill to 15psi(max) of water, watch for stable/dropped pressure, should hold it within 2psi or so all day, but an hour should do it.
    I use a garden hose hooked to the line that comes out of the pump. I use the (required) valve to let the water in.
    I just block all the other lines, making sure i can bleed air from them.
    If no leaks crank the engine, but dont start it (sparkplugs in). A couple of rounds will expose a bad head gasket and even a cracked head/cylinder as the pressure will rise from cranking pressure leaking into the water jacket.
    If it does leak, i dont know where to tell you to start. I would suggest looking in the cylinders first, just to get an idea.
    Wet and others here with 455 engines are very familiar with where they leak and can give you more info on how to get a good seal.
    You guys who ARE mechanics, if you think i am (again) blowing smoke, speak up!. And if you know what makes rocker studs break at or in the polylock...spill it.
    kill the bigblock

Sleek468
    Are you close to delaware where I could help you?

R.A.D.man
    I have solved the same problem in my Olds as you have. My problem always came from the intake manifold seal to the heads. Even with new manifold and new aluminum heads it would happen. Even with a professional assembly, it would happen. For me it all goes back to what mikesouth suggests about the block pressure. First put a mechanical gauge in the intake mounted so you or someone else can see it while under way and as mikesouth suggests, 15 psi max. Mine runs 3 to 8 psi to about 5000 rpm and at full throttle, I see it jump to 13 psi. It is only a 15 psi gauge. Then you need a bypass line like explained. On mine I have a tee just after the pipe from the pump. From that tee, I go through an adjustable pressure regulator and out the back of the boat with 3/4-inch line. The good pump guys have these regulators for low psi adjustment and good flow. From the other side of the tee, I go through a ball valve and to the motor. The ball valve almost always is full open, but I like it because I am hard piped to that point and if a water line blows, I can shut off the water from the pump and keep it from flooding. The key for me was to patiently adjust that bypass regulator until I can go WOT without too high a psi. At idle, all water goes to the block because the bypass shuts at low PSI.

MarineBoy, first you need to give us some info on you rig ,like
    do you have?
    headers or Logs
    Tee valve, Bassett or other
    pressure gauge
    water line sizes (in and out)
    Cam spec. ,(for reversion)
    these will give us a better idea of what where dealing with ??
    if you got a little time do a search on "water in oil" it's all rite there bro
    Give it a shot! you won't beleive what you can find on the forums :clover:
    Markist

localwaterboy
    I went down and did a compression test today with him 190 psi on every cyl.
    yes headers
    yes tee valve
    yes pressure guage (got up to almost 20psi at 3k rpm)
    I'm as lost as he is about this thing.

miketsouth
    if you got a little time do a search on "water in oil" it's all rite there bro
    Give it a shot! you won't beleive what you can find on the forums :clover:
    Markist
    I guess i forgot that one, it is probably the most important one

miketsouth
    I went down and did a compression test today with him 190 psi on every cyl.
    yes headers
    yes tee valve
    yes pressure guage (got up to almost 20psi at 3k rpm)
    I'm as lost as he is about this thing.
    that might be it. What i dont know is when the overpressure happens does it blow the gasket or does it reseal. Do the waterpressure/leakdown test.
    A relief vavle may be in order....go to the top of the page and find 'search' type in relief vavle.......lots of opinions, 'facts' etc. but it will lead you to where you want to go, i think.
    Hey Markist, what spacing do you use for the inducer to impeller,,,i measured a spacer at .885, or does the inducer impeller sit right next to the impeller.

hey Mike, that's about rite, I can't remember right of of the top of my head ,but it seems that it was close to an inch, so your in the neighborhood,if you want me to make sure let me know?
    ok if the water pressure is 20 psi at 3 grand then its getting to high at WOT ,so I would check the t -valve to see if everything is working rite,the ball and spring sometimes gets trash in it or its rusts, if it's rusty trash it!! and get new ones ,does the water shut off at idle??and the steam stops?if it does then thats ok ,next try to add a bigger or extra dump line that will bring the pressuse down so the tee won't open so soon and your block pressure will come down to like 5psi at 3 grand try that !!
    I had the same problem the first time I went out, the pressure was 65psi at WOT, so I added a extra dump line cause the dump line was to small (8AN)then I went to the same size line as the inlet (10 AN) and solved the problem! give it a try ,let us know how it turns out!
    Markist

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast