Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guesses on What happned to the 460?

Mighty Thor
    I would welcome ideas on what caused my engine to break. I pulled the plugs first and #2 was smashed. Pulled the valve cover and everything looked ok at first but one rocker on #2 was a little loose. pulled the intake and that pushrod was severely bent. Pulled the head and found the exhaust valve head sitting on the top of the piston which was very broke and pretty well jammed in the bore at TDC. The valve stem and spring and keeper are all still in the proper place on the head.
    When I drained the oil I got about two gallons of water first. When the pan was off the #2 rod is bent and jammed into the bottom of the bore but still in one piece with the wrist pin still in place, The piston is obviously not connected.
    I am thinking that the valve let go but what would cause this? Or is it possible I some how pulled the piston apart and it took out the valve? I had just gotten on the throttle when this thing let go. I didn't even get to 4000 rpm so I know I didn't over rev it.

Squirtin Thunder
    I had a similar problem many years ago, a valve stem broke !!! No strange wear on the valve guide, the valve head just came off. Now this was on a 4V Cleveland 4bolt block, destroyed the bore of #3. I spent hours looking it over and it just boiled down to metal fatigue. BTW the head was also destroyed.

Mighty Thor
    Yeah, My head doesn't look real good either. It might be useable with inserts but not by me. With all the water in the Oil I am sure that either the head or the block is broke but I won't know for sure till I pull it apart further. I wanted to take pictures for you all so I just left it like I found it with the sheet metal off. Tomarrow I will have the camera.

Big Kahunaa
    hey squirtin thunder do you live in bullhead if so i didn't think there were two ford guy in this city wish i had a 4 bolt cleveland

Squirtin Thunder
    hey squirtin thunder do you live in bullhead if so i didn't think there were two ford guy in this city wish i had a 4 bolt cleveland
    Well, there is a bunch of other guys in this city, I don't know what they are !!! But two smart guys is cool with me.
    Jim

Big Kahunaa
    squirtin thunder where do you hang on the rio {river}

Squirtin Thunder
    squirtin thunder where do you hang on the rio {river}
    Rio Lomis Beach mostly !!!

Big Kahunaa
    cool maybe i'll see you out next season boat is down bought house no money so now i drive my beater toyota 4x4 to grass and circle

Squirtin Thunder
    cool maybe i'll see you out next season boat is down bought house no money so now i drive my beater toyota 4x4 to grass and circle
    Get a Rope !!!

Big Kahunaa
    no jet in the boat piece off junk wont even float

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast