Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: swing away toungue project

victorfb
    does anybody actually READ the posts on here? if you have read them youll notice there was no referance to his 2 bolt design not being strong enough. the messege was about the 2 bolts not securing the two peices together tightly so you wouldnt get the rattling on bumpy roads. were you got the idea of anyone questioning the strength is beyond me. cmon people, start reading more carefully.

victorfb
    since when does "more secure" mean stronger?
    more secure = less vibration and movement. has NOTHING to do with strength.
    lets put it in another venue. mounting your engine with pins that are rated at 5000lb VS useing bolts of equall strength. which one would you use? oh god, maybe i shouldnt ask that question. i can see it now. engines mounted with pins for quik engine removal, instead of bolted in.

victorfb
    exactly my point. and if what he had in mind was to replicate what some manufacturers are releasing, then great. but if he would like to improve upon it and accept advice form others, even better. i for one hate to hear my trailer ratteling when going down a bumpy road. loose connections wether they are strong or not are loose connections and you get the rattle. thats why i go as far as to weld a few beads along the hitch so its a nice snug fit inside the reciever. does that add strength? hell no. but it does quiet it down, and thats what it was intended for. for some reason you think i was unsatisfied with his very well built trailer tongue. not true. i think it looks great, he did and awsome job and should be proud. but if and when he gets a rattle from it becoming a losser fit, them my suggestion may help him out if he so wants.

dmontzsta
    Looks good, just ready for some paint.
    Here is a pic of Kustom Trailers work they just finished for me, I am very happy with it.
    http://www.dmontzsta.com/75Biesmeyer/100_3572s.jpg http://www.dmontzsta.com/75Biesmeyer/100_3573s.jpg http://www.dmontzsta.com/75Biesmeyer/100_3574s.jpg http://www.dmontzsta.com/75Biesmeyer/100_3584s.jpg

victorfb
    that looks awsome don. i like the design and function. and the boat is looking great. get her wet allready would ya.

YeLLowBoaT
    looks good.
    My only grip is the use of grade 8 bolts. grade 8 bolts are designed to hold things together not stop them form shearing. Also most bolt manufactors don't proof thier bolts for sunden increases in force apllied to them( think slam on the breaks) serrenly not laterail like they are used in your app. I am not saying they will not hold the load! but I would swap them out for new every few hundred miles or so just to be on the safe side, the last thing you need is for your traler to break freek then come crashing back into your truck.

dmontzsta
    that looks awsome don. i like the design and function. and the boat is looking great. get her wet allready would ya.
    Thanks Vic. Although I did not do it myself, I couldnt have asked for it to be done any better, they even painted it to match the trailer. Getting her wet is a while away, still working on getting my new business rolling. I am changing the entire setup of the boat.

Squirtin Thunder
    I see what you are saying. I have owned 2 trailers with that design, or close, and becoming loose and noisy was not a issue with that design - and I had a ton of mileage on one of them. So, when you said "more secure" i thought you meant stronger. I too hated my hitch rattling and I drilled a hole and welded a 5/8" nut to the receiver and used a bolt through the receiver that butted up to the hitch to stop the rattling. Perhaps if you just said "tighter" or "to prevent rattling" then it would have been very clear. More secure = stronger in my book and Webster's. Now shut up and make Jim's sanger is gonna run long enough for a mental midget like myself to get behind the wheel to f' it all up.
    Thanks !!!

victorfb
    damn, thats a good idea with the bolt on the reciever. that way any hitch thats used will be able to be snuged up. thanks for the tip.

lilrick
    Relax Francis. Lets not split hairs. You recomended something more "Secure" and I pointed out he was already doing more than the trailer mfg's who sell them for a living.
    actually it's "lighten up francis" Stripes

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast