Thread: T stat and pressure regulator set up

GUGS102
    I installed a new motor - 489 solid roller BBC, nicson 3.5" logs - and along with this I installed a t stat from rex. Four hole with the pressure balance lines on top two holes. I also checked my pressure regulator off the pump and found that is was putting 35psi into the motor. I reduced this to 15-18psi so not to blow a head/intake gasket.
    Had it out yesterday, at idle it was running 180-190*, on cruise 160-175 and when you backed off after cruise or a hard pull it will creep to 200*
    Am I running too low psi and pushing the water over the side before it is getting to the motor?
    I also noticed that when I run it on the hose it also likes to creep until I'm not comforable and shut it down - 200+
    With the hose on full blast, it kicks the regulator and pushes most of the water over the side onto the drive way.
    With out the t stat it used to run 180 at idle and 135 at cruise. I ran this new motor last week and had the 180/135 results.
    Any suggestions??

wet77
    Duane at HTP has a setup that I put on my boat, it seems to work fine and I run about 160-180 temps with no major swings into the 200 range. :coffeycup

Aluminum Squirt
    I can understand not being comfortable with those temps in a boat when we are all used to 140*, but I think anything <200 is fine, especially when you are running 160-175 at cruise. Those temps are perfect for tuning and should remain pretty consistent. If you want to lower it a little but keep the consistency you may try checking your plumbing layout, aka no need to pre-heat water through your logs in AZ if you are doing that?? You may also adjust your regulator up a little to around 20psi (I agree 35 is too high). I have one of Duanes and I think he sets his at 20, but I have never put a gauge on it. Look at your overboard water dumps and lines going to them. Sometimes those are too big, not allowing the water enough time to pick up engine heat, or too small, not letting enough water flow through the engine. Just a couple of thoughts but it sounds like you have a good starting point. Above 200 and I would become concerned because there's no coolant, just straight water, ie your boiling point should be around 212*. Of course the pressure of your system will raise the boiling point some, but you have to be way smarter than me to know what 15-18psi does to your boiling point.Are you running an oil cooler? Hope some of this helps-Aluminum Squirt

Mohavekid
    The T-stat has a 1/8'' bypass hole in it which helps increase water flow at idle speeds.
    Drill another 1 or 2 bypass holes in the t-stat itself. That should reduce the temp rise at idle and does not effect higher speed temps.
    Good luck.

GUGS102
    Thanks for the help. I've solved the problem, I increased the pressure on the regulator about four turns and it cycles up to 170 and then down to 150 and so on. Much better :shift:

wet77
    noticed today on mine that when I run hard for a few miles then come down to idle my temp shows 170-180 but my water dump is half water half steam??
    Does anyone elses do this?

HotRod Sprint
    Another thing to consider is that this motor is new and may be running a little warmer now than when you get some hours on it.
    Rod

Aluminum Squirt
    Never seen the steam, and I have giant dumps that just barely trickle at idle. I think that would provide enough room for expansion and decrease pressure enough to give me some steam. Doesn't sound right to me, but I guess if its not overheating then you don't really have a problem. Your oil clear? No milk shake? Anybody else seen this?-Aluminum Squirt