Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread: 460 (super cobra jet heads)

LakesOnly
    Blown 472:
    Hey lakes, what is the dealio on the mopar rod on the ford crank, got any comp heights?? piston part numbers?? I am liking it as I have a bunch of mopar rods laying around. I first learned of this when I found the hole in my piston (damn pump gas!) and started looking for an interim motor while I rebuilt mine.
    I came across a 492 stroker with CJ heads. 440 six-pack rods and Ross pistons. Still on the engine stand. I closed a deal for $3100 and he ships it to me from back east. I sent him the money, thinking I totally scored.
    It's a little known set-up and usually discounted when considered because--hey--why turn a stock crank for a 492 when you can make a 514?
    And that's actually a valid point...unless your a gearhead tripper like me and you like to try different and uncommon stuff that should work just fine.
    Question: Is the cost of the offset grinding worth the few extra cubes of a 492?
    Answer: Are you a gearhead tripper like me and you like to try different and uncommon stuff that should work just fine?
    So...offset grinding a 460 crank for a 2.375 rod can make for a 3.975 stroke. Add a 4.44 bore, and voila! 492 cubes. And yes, the there is plenty of material in that crank for a bigger stroker down the road.
    The mopar 440 rod is 6.76" (and the pin can be gotten in a .990 or a 1.094, with he aftermarket stuff available).
    I think the Ross pistons in the engine I bought were custom...I never evaluated compression height.
    A week after the guy told me he received my money for the 492, I got an email from him saying that as he was placing the motor on a shipping pallet, the chain on the engine hoist broke and the engine hit the pick-up tailgate and tumbled to the ground. He sent my money back. I asked for pictures but never saw any. Hmmmmmm....Nor have I ever known a chain to break while hoisting an engine...
    He originally saw a small write-up about it in a Super Ford magazine. I think he may have scanned it and sent it to me early on, but if I have it, it's in my--yep, you guessed it--crashed hard-drive.
    LO

Another little tidbit of Ford info. Most early blocks can be bored to 4.520" if sonic checked for core shift and overall wall thickness. Drop in a 4.500" stroke crank and it makes a 572" engine for just under $3K...can ya do that with a stock block Chevy?

kp216
    [/QB]The Ford cast crank and 2 bolt block power threshhold is alot higher than the BBC.[/QB]Amen there. When I built a 351 Cleveland to use in my 4 WD pulling truck, I was running a stock 2 bolt block, stock nodular crank and stock rods that I polished, shot peened and put ARP rod bolts in. When I hooked to the sled and came out of the hole, I was turning 8000rpm. It lived for two years in my truck until I finally sold it to a circle track racer.

LakesOnly
    058:
    Another little tidbit of Ford info. Most early blocks can be bored to 4.520" if sonic checked for core shift and overall wall thickness. Drop in a 4.500" stroke crank and it makes a 572" engine for just under $3K...can ya do that with a stock block Chevy? Bam!
    BEAT THAT!
    (Oops, am I getting passionalte over the Ford vs. Chevy thing when I said I wouldn't?) wink
    LO

spectras only
    Guys ,stop all this ford talk wink . I'm ready to order the new GT 40 to teach those Z0-6 guys a lesson J/K BTW , Pebble beach show is coming up on the 15th.My friend will show his 1929 Austin7 s/c racer ,750cc [only 6 in the word exist today].I hope to be there myself.
    [ August 06, 2003, 10:17 AM: Message edited by: spectras only ]

I have a question for Dennis Moore. What are the advantages of running a Chevy? Why do people choose Chevys over other makes? I know all about cost of parts and the old wive's tales of Chevy parts being cheaper [some are and some aren't] Parts being plentiful, yep, they are, especially used parts. Ford guys usually don't sell their good parts. From an engineering point of view what are the advantages of the Chevy over the others, not just Fords.
    [ August 06, 2003, 10:34 AM: Message edited by: 058 ]

Blown 472
    I can think of one, pulling the dist to change intakes.

spectras only
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Blown 472:
    [QB] I can think of one, pulling the dist to change intakes. Hey blown pulling the distributor on a ford is less of a hassle than pulling the oilpan for a timingchain replacement for a chevy wink

beached 1
    I have a ? What's with the lifters on a BBC? Why aren't they on top an center of the cam lobes (like a ford) wouldn't this make it easier for the cam to go flat? Or am I missin something?
    [ August 06, 2003, 01:13 PM: Message edited by: beached 1 ]

LakesOnly
    058:
    I have a question for Dennis Moore. What are the advantages of running a Chevy? Why do people choose Chevys over other makes? I know all about cost of parts and the old wive's tales of Chevy parts being cheaper [some are and some aren't] Parts being plentiful, yep, they are, especially used parts. Ford guys usually don't sell their good parts. From an engineering point of view what are the advantages of the Chevy over the others, not just Fords. Yeah...what 058 said!
    (Oops, am I once again getting passionate over the Ford vs. Chevy thing when I said I wouldn't? Tee-hee!)
    LO

[ August 06, 2003, 01:37 PM: Message edited by: LakesOnly ]

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast