Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trim Troubles....

DUSTINU
    My "up" trim went out Saturday, the down works fine. There is no noise (effort) from the motor so I think the fluid level is OK, I think (thanks to Summit Carl) that the silonoid went out...Does this sound right to all you, has anyone ever swaped one out???
    Thanks,
    Dustin

Tom Brown
    If it doesn't click when you press the button, it's probably the solenoid. You can test it with a volt meter.

hoffman
    the trim switch button might have went out or a wire got disconnected. I wouldnt think your silinode went out. what kind of trim button do you have?
    Easy way to test a silinode arce across it with a screw driver. That will tell you if it works.

DUSTINU
    Thanks Tom, that's what I was thinking. No click what so ever. So If I manually released the motors trim (keep your mind outta the gutter Tom )
    so I could tow it home, when I swap out the solenoid do I need to reset the trim limitations??

DUSTINU
    the trim switch button might have went out or a wire got disconnected. I wouldnt think your silinode went out. what kind of trim button do you have?
    Easy way to test a silinode arce across it with a screw driver. That will tell you if it works.
    That crossed my mind as well, but I have a button on the wheel and the motor. Both of the buttons work to trim the motor down and nothing (no click) when I try to trim up. I left the sand bar... worked fine and pull up to the lower sand bar... nada.
    Thanks, I will test it before I replace it.

hoffman
    I would check the button, if the button went out it wont make the click. No power.

hoffman
    did you check your wires? I dont know what your motor is but mercs are blue and green. if the up came un done it will do the same.
    just tryn to help ya out

DUSTINU
    Will do... thanks.
    Looks like I'll be back in Havi sooner than expected... to work :crossx:

Tom Brown
    That crossed my mind as well, but I have a button on the wheel and the motor. Both of the buttons work to trim the motor down and nothing (no click) when I try to trim up.
    I've had two solenoids go in the last couple of years (on two different boats). In both cases, I replaced them with a similar part from a heavy truck dealer. I think they cost me less than 20 bucks CDN each and work perfectly.
    I didn't even price the Mercury replacements but I would imagine they could make it into the three digits.

Dustinu,
    I had this problem to the T two days ago. I went to leave Ski beach and my down trim on the left motor wouldnt function. I had taken off the cowling at the beach and it disconnected a wire. Check that first. Goodluck.
    Tony

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast