Thread: 1973 howard shovelnose

sifocalpoint
    I was looking at some local want ads and to my surprise there was a 1973 Howard Shovelnose Hydro!! I was like HOTDAMN!! See im from Pennsylvania and Jetboats and especially v-drives are rare. 90% of the boaters on the lakes and rivers have no idea what a v-drive even is and finding one for sale is like finding a needle in a haystack.
    It has a nice trailer, Nice looking small block 350 with Bassetts like new. MSD, and Beautiful paint for 6500.00 OBO I was going to go offer him 5500.00 and give up on my schiada flat project, pull the small block, sell it for $1500.00 to my buddy. Use the guages, steering wheel, bezels, new imco t tank, etc in the hydro.
    QUESTION: Is the howard a nice hydro, is it a good boat?? Ill be using it once in a blue moon on the river and just want a fast clean boat and ive always wanted a hydro. It has inboard steering, is that ok?? benefits/drawbacks??

mouzer
    I just sold a 73 howard shovelnose hydro w/new prof, painted hull /v-drive and new int, for $3000 to a guy out here! and he dropped a built BBC in it and he loves it, handles great,has inboard steering, have;nt seen another one before this one,(Howard that is). inboard steering is great for lake use ,outboard steering is safer if you have major hsp. :jawdrop:

sifocalpoint
    well i was planning on big hp, like around 800hp, will inboard steering be a major problem? Im not racing just planning on a blast up the river here and there. Are these boats real heavy? How did yours run with the power you had??
    Thanks Mouzer

bigheavyd2
    There is a shovelnose on www.dragboatcity.com for sale pretty cool looking and the ad said it been 115 MPH with inboard steering.

NICE PAIR
    My brother and I have run hydro's off and on for 30 years with both inboard and outboard rudders. ( blown & unblown ) If you plan on running over 120ish go with the outboard rudder. The inboard rudder is better handling for a lake boat. watch that you don't run a prop that lifts the tail to high. Run a S K type rudder with all trailing blade.