Thread: Berkeley bowl question

GREENLEAF13
    I have a berk jc pump that i would like to convert to a split bowl so i can use droop with a diverter etc.. I found a E pump with a split bowl and place diverter, Will the E pump bowl work on my C pump? Its obvious that the suction piece is totaly different but from what i can gather most berk bowls will interchange. This is probably a real simple question but i just want to make sure. Any help or advice would be great as i am fairly new to this. thanks!!!!!

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    The bowl will fit

GREENLEAF13
    Thanks 396! I figured it would be ok but it doesnt hurt to double check. By the way what do you think my odds are of removing an impeller form one pump to install install in another? do you usually damage the impeller when removing it?

Jeanyus
    You may want to invest in an impeller puller. Some boat shops will rent them out. Maybee you could borrow one from a friend ?
    http://www.cpperformance.com/images/950-758100.JPG

DeputyDawg
    The bowls will interchange but make sure what you are looking at because an "E" pump is not a split bowl pump. If the "E" pump you found has a split bowl on it, it is because someone changed it out so the bowl was probably a JG bowl to begin with. As far as changing the impellers out there is more to it than just pulling them and swapping them out between two different used pumps. Have you ever changed an impeller before? While your in there check the wear ring and insulator out as well, and be sure to check all your clearences.

GREENLEAF13
    My pump definitley needs a rebuild as i have some slight overrev issues out of the hole, the impeller has ingested a few rocks in its lifetime, 2 since ive owned it . This will be the first pump ive had apart, as it is my first jet boat also. I was trying to accomplish a couple things by buying this pump as it has a recent rebuild, but it sounds as though i'll still need to purchase a wearring, liner and maybe a thrust bearing, no way to know until it comes apart tough!!

SmokinLowriderSS
    Personally, (here comes a shameless plug hahaha) I use and really like one DuaneHTP sells from Polyeurethane. It's called "The Ultimate Wear Ring". It is somewhat forgiving of sand ingestion and seals great by actually laying against the impeller slightly (brushing it instead of several thousandths gap from metal rings). It is UNFORGIVVING of being spun dry. Cranking a motor over to make sure it spins is OK but letting it start, even for a seccond will heat it, melt it, "burn" it up unless it is plenty wet (in the lake is my only way.) I've been running it hard since 1993 or so, still seals good. I do try to avoid sand tho, or any shalows.
    I can actually get my impeller off with a good hard tug once the nut is off.
    Duane reccomends setting the wear ring clearanmces with a new thrust bearing (he did when I did mine 10+ years ago). You shim a certain ammount away from the wear ring and the thrust bearing break-in takes up that room leaving you with a slightly touching fit. I think it just makes sense anyhow as you now have a new drive. He has a kit for only arround $236 for a full rebuild (minus impeller). All bearings and seals, incl wear ring.
    http://hi-techperformance.com/Parts.HTM