Thread: Methanol

1riverrat
    What would be the pros and cons of running methanol in a lake boat?

Nstigator74
    You use about 2.5 times more than gasoline, and you have to completely drain and WD-40 the whole fuel system BEFORE storing the boat. Methanol is hydroscopic sp? And becomes highly corrosive.

Fiat48
    Pros:
    More horsepower, no worrrys about gasoline octane, runs cooler and cheap(relative to race gas), more forgiving on the tuneup.
    Cons:
    Use twice as much fuel,have to use an additive like Pro Blend to keep from corrosion ($20 can treats 55 gallons), harder to start cold (start better with gas first), fires are nearly invisible, more frequent oil changes till you get it right.

Infomaniac
    Running methanol in a lake boat here.
    Video 3

1riverrat
    Thanks for the replies i have one more question is it easier to tune in caburation or mechanical fuel injection on gas? Thanks again.
    [ February 13, 2003, 09:44 PM: Message edited by: 1riverrat ]

BGMAN203
    Not too many people use methanol in carbs. If you got to the trouble to use methanol it is more beneficial to run injection. One other thing about using methanol in a lake boat, is that you got to haul you own fuel around with you, but if your running race gas you already have to do that. Just my $.02

1riverrat
    Hauling fuel is not a problem I'm just not sure if I want to run methanol or not. I do want to run injection thou. This going to be a 600+ C.I. motor and I'm just exploring my induction options.

Infomaniac
    Mine holds about 29 gallons of Methanol. Carry it in side tanks and pump it into the "T" tank.

Fiat48
    1riverrat:
    Hauling fuel is not a problem I'm just not sure if I want to run methanol or not. I do want to run injection thou. This going to be a 600+ C.I. motor and I'm just exploring my induction options. Although I prefer injection, my first altered drag car had a pair of 850 Holley alcohol carbs that worked very well and still in use today. The jetting and all was close right out of the box. Was hard to start when cold but a little gas sprayed in the carbs and it lit right off. You would also need large fuel lines and a fuel pump capable of alcohol fuel. We ran 2 Holley 110 pumps.