Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: BBF crankshafts. Who do you recomend?

LeadFootTheRabbit
    Your right it is or was Latona. My memory seems to fade at times. Anyhow, he did nice work. The new owners have been good to me also. They spun the crank for my jeep motor. Also a Ford. 351-C
    LDFTRBT

SPECTRABRENT
    Beached 1,
    Did you get the shirts & stickers?
    Brent

LakesOnly
    Beached1,
    The rod journal size on a Ford 460 crank is 2.5 inches. The rod journal size of your Chevy 454 is 2.2 inches.
    When most people build Ford 514 Stroker, the stock Ford 460 crank's rod journals are ground off-center and down to 2.2 inches to accept the Chevy rod (don't remember the Chevy rod length).
    The stock 460 stroke is 3.85 inches; there are two 514's that can be built:
    --4.15 stroke and 4.44 (.080" over) bore = 514ci, or
    --4.3 stroke and 4.36 bore = 514ci.
    idea Note on the first option that the std 460 bore is 4.36" and if you overbore .080 to 4.44", you should use a D1VE casting numbered (pre-1972) block.
    idea Note on the second option that the std 460 bore is 4.36" and if you overbore .030 to 4.39", you will have a 521ci.
    I have heard the arguement that turning the Ford journal down this much technically weakens the crank; however, I have never heard of one of these crankshafts failing.
    Ford never offered a forged crankshaft for the 460 engine. Depending on how radical a motor you are building, you may want to consider addtional (strengthening) work to a stroked crank, such as nitriding/case hardening.
    SCAT and Eagle offer Ford stroker cranks and also complete stroker rotating assemblies for less than the price of the crank that you located from Crower. I don't remember offhand, but I believe they offer forged stroker cranks too.
    Finally, here is a link to a displacement table:
    http://car.race-cars.net/calculators...alculator.html
    LO
    [ January 29, 2003, 09:30 PM: Message edited by: LakesOnly ]

LakesOnly
    [ January 29, 2003, 09:27 PM: Message edited by: LakesOnly ]

LakesOnly
    [ January 29, 2003, 09:26 PM: Message edited by: LakesOnly ]

beached 1
    Brent,
    Not yet. I'll be seeing Hustler at Supercros this weekend though.
    Thanks again.
    LO,
    Thanks for all the info. I appreciate it. I currently have a D1VE block with the low comp D3VE heads. I snaked some stock DOVE heads recently. If I choose not to go with turbos, I'd like to send the DOVEs out to be ported and use em. Would a 514 with DOVE's push my comp over the pump gas range? Or can I achieve approx 10-1/12-1 compression with the D3VEs with flat top pistons @ 514 ci?
    [ January 30, 2003, 07:23 AM: Message edited by: beached 1 ]

flat broke
    Beached,
    When you order up your new pistons (you'll need to because of the new rod length and stroke) you should be able to get a good variety of heights to yeild a suitable CR. Call George!
    Chris

Blown 472
    beached 1:
    Brent,
    Not yet. I'll be seeing Hustler at Supercros this weekend though.
    Thanks again.
    LO,
    Thanks for all the info. I appreciate it. I currently have a D1VE block with the low comp D3VE heads. I snaked some stock DOVE heads recently. If I choose not to go with turbos, I'd like to send the DOVEs out to be ported and use em. Would a 514 with DOVE's push my comp over the pump gas range? Or can I achieve approx 10-1/12-1 compression with the D3VEs with flat top pistons @ 514 ci? Check out the Keith Black hyperutectic piston site, lots of good info even if you dont use their stuff.

beached 1
    hey Chris, as always thanks for your $.02. I plan to call Clay smith for sure.
    Blown, I ran a search and found this site?
    http://www.kb-silvolite.com/

LakesOnly
    beached 1:
    I currently have a D1VE block with the low comp D3VE heads. I snaked some stock DOVE heads recently. If I choose not to go with turbos, I'd like to send the DOVEs out to be ported and use em. Would a 514 with DOVE's push my comp over the pump gas range? Or can I achieve approx 10-1/12-1 compression with the D3VEs with flat top pistons @ 514 ci? Both the D3VE and D0VE castings are really good. And both require a certain amount of porting to get the desired results from each casting. The D0VE castings were simply the higher compression, mass-produced passenger car head and were made before emissions started compromising performance (which is why the chamber volume increased with the D3's along with the advent of the air injection bosses). I am running D3VE's and so are many other people. Choosing which casting to use is really just a matter of the application and maybe how much time/money you will spend on port work--particularly on the exhaust ports (<---research this).
    With a 4.3" stroke, 4.39" bore and flat tops without valve reliefs, you are looking at about 12.5:1 to 13:1 compression ratio with the D0VE heads and about 10.5:1 with the D3VE heads.
    Personally, in such a stroked motor that will use pump gas, I would run the D3VE heads with or without turbos and get the appropriate pistons for the application.
    (Note: I currently am running factory stroke and 11:1 pistons, and straight pump gas detonated my pistons burningm ...you will probably be blending fuel, bud.)
    Keep in mind that if you are building some crazy super horsepower monster and you need to fill the combustion chambers of the D3VE heads with dome-top pistons, your choices are currently limited; you might want to go with the 76cc D0VE's. I don't think this applies in your (stroker/turbo) case.
    The follwong link has a great deal of infromation about the 429/460 engine family:
    http://www.reincarnation-automotive.com/
    LO

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast