Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: BBF crankshafts. Who do you recomend?

beached 1
    Looks like I'll be going with the 4.3 crank. I'm not so sure how much more I could go with a stock block. I haven't had a chance to call Clay Smith yet, but found a shop out in Florida that will sell me a SCAT crank, pro lite rods and forged (can'r remember what brand) pistons for 2k. Depending on how much Crower is going to want for a Cam, lifters, rockers, etc and how much to port the heads, it's looking pretty good that I'll be going ahead and doing all of this now instead of waiting till next winter. hope, I hope. After all, I'm going to have to at least tear the heads off to see what bore I'm at now before I order the pistons.
    I called Turbo City in Anaheim. He said they haven't made a kit for a boat in a number of years, so F that. It was a pipe dream anyway.

SPECTRABRENT
    When are you going to start your project?
    Brent

Hustler
    Garrit, I would look into something differant than the Scat crank, I know some people have had good luck with them but I also know some people that have had problems with spinning bearings. I would much rather spend a little extra for a better quality crank that is forged here in the US and not China. but thats just my opinion

Blown 472
    beached 1:
    Looks like I'll be going with the 4.3 crank. I'm not so sure how much more I could go with a stock block. I haven't had a chance to call Clay Smith yet, but found a shop out in Florida that will sell me a SCAT crank, pro lite rods and forged (can'r remember what brand) pistons for 2k. Depending on how much Crower is going to want for a Cam, lifters, rockers, etc and how much to port the heads, it's looking pretty good that I'll be going ahead and doing all of this now instead of waiting till next winter. hope, I hope. After all, I'm going to have to at least tear the heads off to see what bore I'm at now before I order the pistons.
    I called Turbo City in Anaheim. He said they haven't made a kit for a boat in a number of years, so F that. It was a pipe dream anyway. Maybe you could talk to Engine Systems? they are out of Georgia and do nothing but big block fords.

beached 1
    I'll be pulling the engine out today or tomorrow. Depends on how soon I can get home from work. As soon as I can get it all apart, the better. Then I can see what I got to work with.
    So, scats are made in China? Perhaps I'll have to do a little research on their reliability. I didn't plan on just throwing it in motor right out of the box however. I will be sending the crank, rods, pistons, harmonic balancer and flex plate out to be balanced as a unit. Also the crank to be micro polished and holes champhered if it isn't already. But thanks Joe for the heads up.

flat broke
    beached 1:
    I'll be pulling the engine out today or tomorrow. Depends on how soon I can get home from work. As soon as I can get it all apart, the better. Then I can see what I got to work with.
    So, scats are made in China? Perhaps I'll have to do a little research on their reliability. I didn't plan on just throwing it in motor right out of the box however. I will be sending the crank, rods, pistons, harmonic balancer and flex plate out to be balanced as a unit. Also the crank to be micro polished and holes champhered if it isn't already. But thanks Joe for the heads up. Beached,
    Are you getting a 9000 series crank with that kit, or forged? The 9000 series crank is a chinese cast crank turned and detailed here in the U.S. Before you throw any coin down, get pricing from your current source and then Call George, I'd bet a box of donuts and a case of beer he would elect to index grind the stock crank (If it hasn't been turned up the ass) over the Chinese cast model. Also in doing a little checking, I couldn't find a Scat Pro Lite rod, so I'd find out what's up with that. If you want to buy everything as a kit, the part number through Scat is 1-520HPS for a 4.3 stroke cast crank, set of 4340 forged H beam 6.800 length rods, and a set of forged 4.390 bore SRP pistons. You can call scat directly to get the pricing as they will do retail sales. They're catalog can be found online HERE
    Honestly, I think you can do better than the pricing on that kit if your crank is salvageable. If I recall, the index grind/polish/chamfer work on a useable stock crank will run around $300-$350, a set of SRPs for your setup shouldn't be more than $600 including pins and locks, with a set of rods running you around $700 on the high side. One of the great things about going through George, is that he gets great pricing and doesn't hesitate to pass that down to you. His machine shop price list falls in line with what you would pay a shop with far less experience.
    As far as Scat's quality, time will tell if you wanted to wait. I'll be picking my new forged crank up for my BBC today. The first thing that is getting done when it gets home is a full dimensional blueprint. I could probably tell you by Friday if there were inconsistencies in their machining. As far as the strength, only use and a little abuse will tell you that.
    Good luck,
    Chris

SPECTRABRENT
    Garrit & Chris,
    What is the quality of the FORD (SVO) long block & short block 514?
    I would think for the $$$ the FORD (SVO) 514 product would be better.
    Brent

SPECTRABRENT:
    Garrit & Chris,
    Brent Personally I think you can do better building your own 514. The SVO crate uses std. 460 rod journal size so you are somewhat limited to rod selection as opposed to BBC journal dia. and aftermarket rods. With prices as cheap as they are for parts you can build a short block for about 2/3rds the price of the crate s/b and have a better engine.

LakesOnly
    058:
    SPECTRABRENT:
    Garrit & Chris,
    Brent Personally I think you can do better building your own 514. The SVO crate uses std. 460 rod journal size so you are somewhat limited to rod selection as opposed to BBC journal dia. and aftermarket rods. With prices as cheap as they are for parts you can build a short block for about 2/3rds the price of the crate s/b and have a better engine. I agree with 058. Spend the money wisely and custom tailor the rebuild to your specific application.
    By the way, I too heard that SCAT 9000 cranks were failing, BUT this was some years ago and I was told Quality Control had improved since then (maybe that's why the final touches to those cranks are done in the U.S. now?). Don't quote me on this.
    Here is a photo of my stock 460 crank that has been reworked. Lightly chamfered, polished, knife-edged (pointed counterweights), case hardened, balanced, etc.

Sorry, I don't have a price for all this machine work for you. But hopefully you have a good stock seasoned crank to start with. Good crank grinders that stroke crank throws are getting hard to come by in my neck-of-the-woods; can anybody out there recommend to Beached1 one or two reputable, veteran crankshaft grinders? The must be several of those in Southern Californa alone.
    LO

beached 1
    A crate motor is tempting only because it would take a lot less work out of all this. But, I'm a dumbass. I want to build my own for two reasons. I will know what's in it and I've never built a Ford before.
    I tried to get a hold of George @ Clay Smith but he was busy with a customer at the time and I didn't get a chance to call back. But I will.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast