Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: BBF crankshafts. Who do you recomend?

flat broke
    A little side note about the folks at Scat Enterprises...
    I ordered a forged and nitrided 4" stroke BBC crank to get my motor back together with. There were some delays getting it, but nothing too crazy. The day after I picked up the crank, I got the news that there was damage to 2 ring lands on my pistons and I was going to need to replace them. Rather than spend good money on the same displacement, I opted to see if I could up my stroke when I bought the new pistons. I called Scat to see about exchanging the unopened crank, and they said sure. At that point I ordered up a 4.25 forged unit. It took them longer than anticipated to finish the crank and when I picked it up yesterday, I'm loading it into the truck when the rep tells me, "I upgraded your crank because of the delays". As it turned out mine hadn't been polished yet and rather than send me home empty handed again, he sported for about a $400 upgrade at no cost to me. I never bitched or moaned and they stepped up all on their own. Hopefully the durability of the part proves to be as satisfactory as the the customer service. Thumbs up for Brian over at Scat.
    Chris

Builder
    SVO sells crate 514 motors with cobra jet heads for a reasonable price with a warrantee.They also have a 530 ci (I Think)rotating assembly for a good price.
    Trick Flow Heads are sometimes available through Summit.

Hustler
    flat broke:
    A little side note about the folks at Scat Enterprises...
    I ordered a forged and nitrided 4" stroke BBC crank to get my motor back together with. There were some delays getting it, but nothing too crazy. The day after I picked up the crank, I got the news that there was damage to 2 ring lands on my pistons and I was going to need to replace them. Rather than spend good money on the same displacement, I opted to see if I could up my stroke when I bought the new pistons. I called Scat to see about exchanging the unopened crank, and they said sure. At that point I ordered up a 4.25 forged unit. It took them longer than anticipated to finish the crank and when I picked it up yesterday, I'm loading it into the truck when the rep tells me, "I upgraded your crank because of the delays". As it turned out mine hadn't been polished yet and rather than send me home empty handed again, he sported for about a $400 upgrade at no cost to me. I never bitched or moaned and they stepped up all on their own. Hopefully the durability of the part proves to be as satisfactory as the the customer service. Thumbs up for Brian over at Scat.
    Chris Hey Chris, How much did they charge you for the crank? Also are you sayng they want an extra $400 to polish a crank? Is'nt that something that should be done on a new crank when you buy it? So what is your final displacement going to be? 496?

flat broke
    Joe,
    No they weren't going to charge me an extra 400 for polishing. They hadn't gotten the crank I ordered through polishing yet, so rather than have me wait again, they gave me a different model crank that was already completed. Same piece dimensionally, just a higher end unit. I got out the door for somethin over 600 with tax, but if I were to go in today and order the crank they gave me, it would be considerably more.
    Yeah, I'll be at 496 when all is said and done. It kind of sucks because a Big M is only 1900 more and would get me to 540 with the cost of pistons basically being the same. But you have to draw the line somewhere, so thats where I drew it. I hope that clears everything up. The bottom line is the guys at Scat took good care to keep me happy as a customer even when I didn't even complain.
    Chris

waterslinger
    Beached, Did you get your motor out and check the bore? Brent started porting my Edelbrock heads
    he is a go getter out of the box just will not cut it with him. Hope to get my boat in two weeks
    called tim at pro boat he is doing my bowl now.
    Tax money will finish up the job. I want to go 80.
    All my boys with clamp on's are calling me out.
    It is my goal to come out swinging and spraying.
    Waterslinger

beached 1
    Waterslinger,
    I've been sick as a dog since last wed, so I've been moving around the garage like snail. I did get the motor out last sun however and tore it down. I was glad to see the block was stock bore. Everything is down at my friends machine shop getting looked over, block is getting dipped, etc. As soon as I can talk with my friend, I'll give your guy a call. Thanks again for the tip.
    One thing I found that made me scratch my head. The domes on the D0VE and the D3VE look identical. Is that right? Did they make 2 different D0VEs? One for a 429 and perhaps a lower comp one for the 460?. Can any one tell me what the cc's are on a DOVE-C and D3VE-A2A?

Blown 472
    Dove's 76 cc's d3ve's 92 cc's they got a bigger cc buy making the chamber bigger towards the top of the head this cuts some of the flow out of exhaust side if you look in the exhaust ports you can see the difference.

hack job
    Blown 472:
    Dove's 76 cc's d3ve's 92 cc's they got a bigger cc buy making the chamber bigger towards the top of the head this cuts some of the flow out of exhaust side if you look in the exhaust ports you can see the difference. this is why you prt your heads and they will flow better than a dove head . just my .02 i know form experiance. i have d3ve-a2a on my motor and i was told to run them they would flow better if they were worked ( ported) then the dove heads. just a thought save you money beached go to george he is the man.
    look at my heads

and here again

hack job
    oh and george also did my cranks i wish i had pcs of it before i put it in but it was great and its plenty strong once it has been offset gound. believe me george would never let any thing go out of his shop if it wasnt(he has a hugh reputation to keep one of the reasons he still works there)
    i know its a bit of a drive beached but i would just go down there you will never geta hold of him on the phone.he s always to busy to answer the phone. they arent open on friday-sunday. but form 9 -6 mon- thur. great place.is all i can say.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234