Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adjusting Hyd Lifters...BBC

HammerDown
    This is how I've been doing them for years and actually as per instructions in Seloc Marine Jet Drive book.
    #1 @TDC...
    Exhaust Valves 1,3,4,8
    Intake Valves 1,2,5,7
    Then >1 full engine revolution so #6 is now @ TDC...
    Exhaust Valves 2,5,6,7
    Intake Valves 3,4,6,8
    I go 3/4 turn from zero lash...and call it a day.
    PS. and yes the lifter is on the heel of the cam

This is how I've been doing them for years and actually as per instructions in Seloc Marine Jet Drive book.
    #1 @TDC...
    Exhaust Valves 1,3,4,8
    Intake Valves 1,2,5,7
    Then >1 full engine revolution so #6 is now @ TDC...
    Exhaust Valves 2,5,6,7
    Intake Valves 3,4,6,8
    I go 3/4 turn from zero lash...and call it a day.
    PS. and yes the lifter is on the heel of the cam
    Hammer...
    after doing some reading/research...this is the way i have done mine in the past (much much easier)...i was waiting for someone to post this...thnx "bunches"
    fastrat

DUCKY
    That's the clean way to do it... I usually set them with the motor running and warm. They sell these little clips that keep the oil from spraying everywhere. Loosen the nut until it rattles tighten till it shuts up and give it a 1/2 turn. I have been told that the running method is preferred because of the tolerance differences in each lifter. If you have O/T's it's a real bitch though....

Wicked Performance Boats
    I have a cutout valvecover that I use to adjust valves. Budlight

BOOGEYMAN
    That's the clean way to do it... I usually set them with the motor running and warm. They sell these little clips that keep the oil from spraying everywhere. Loosen the nut until it rattles tighten till it shuts up and give it a 1/2 turn. I have been told that the running method is preferred because of the tolerance differences in each lifter. If you have O/T's it's a real bitch though....
    yes!!!

BOOGEYMAN
    I have a cutout valvecover that I use to adjust valves. Budlight
    and yes!!!

CARLSON-JET
    I have tried every version I have ever read, and when done correctly I never had any version not work. I have also tried the 1/8, 1/4, 3/8, 1/2. and even 5/16 and 3/4 turn. honestly I could never tell much of a diffrence in the 1/4 mile times. I would like to see a dyno test done though on this just to see what is myth and what is mystery. I will say, when done wrong.... I had to do it again. R.B.

HammerDown
    I have tried every version I have ever read, and when done correctly I never had any version not work. I have also tried the 1/8, 1/4, 3/8, 1/2. and even 5/16 and 3/4 turn. honestly I could never tell much of a diffrence in the 1/4 mile times. I would like to see a dyno test done though on this just to see what is myth and what is mystery. I will say, when done wrong.... I had to do it again. R.B.
    Sure, plenty of ways to kill a cat :rollside:
    W/ the engine (not) running...I simply like my way because I don't like constantly rotating the engine around...something about those bearing on the crank gives me the shivers...and yes I know there's a slight oil film on them, still worries me.
    I know some people that go 1+1/2 turns on the hyd units :220v: ...I feel better at 3/4 turns down.

SmokinLowriderSS
    A turn & a half?!?!??!?!??? :2purples: Dam, there is only so much depth in those lifters! :frown:

Moneypitt
    quote ducky[I have been told that the running method is preferred because of the tolerance differences in each lifter.]
    The hyd. lifter is probably the most precision piece in ANY engine. The tolerances are usually +/_ .0001. Nothing else in an engine even comes close to these numbers. Hyd lifters are very forgiving, and adjustment has a wide range of acceptance. It is really hard to get them far enough off to make any difference in performance, unlike solids that can be "fine tuned" to make a difference............MP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast