Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: new roller lifter design

DogHouse
    Check out these trick new lifters:
    [img]http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/504/313lifter2-med.jpg[/img]
    That #6 exhaust. Are they supposed to look like that after 10 hours of use? cry
    Haven't found any evidence of any other problems internally, no oiling problems, no piston/valve contact, no obvious problems with the heads, valves, springs, rockers, or pushrods. Looks like the thing just broke. I still haven't pulled the short block out or the pan off yet so maybe something will become obvious when I do. Collateral damage includes the cam (of course) and the lifter bore in that shiny new Dart block.
    Time to make some phone calls! argue
    Well the summer was off to a good start...

Blown 472
    Ouch, that sucks, whos lifter??

DogHouse
    Isky "Red Zone", supposedly some of the toughest available that have pressure fed oiling and will put up with big springs for extended use. I know they were expensive! I'm really scratching my head wondering if something caused the failure or if there was just a bad heat treat on the roller, or a bad bearing, or what. I'm hoping to find some of the needles in the pan and inspect them for signs of heat stress (i.e. lack of oil).

cjordan
    Crower has the best solid roller for the $$. Jesels are better for a lot more $$. I lost a comp lifter on the #6 exhaust last year. Didn't hurt anything, but a pain in the ass. It looked like the lifter was defective, very porous metal around the axle (which broke out). The rest of the lifters were perfect. Comp paid for the lifters and ruined cam anyway. Spring pressure and agressive ramps are lifter killers.
    You might look at the Schubeck radius lifters, make more power with no moving parts. Basically a solid flat tappet lifter with a radius to run on a roller cam lobe. They make big power and work. You can also run a lot less spring since these lifters weigh half of a regular lifter.go to www.schubeckracing.com
    [ May 12, 2003, 10:26 AM: Message edited by: cjordan ]

Craig
    Damn Brian, that sucks. Maybe that's why we didn't see you at the lake yesterday frown

DogHouse
    Yeah this is going to keep me off the lake for a while. The thing was running real nice too. Just my luck!
    That Schubeck stuff looks very interesting. I will definitely talk to Larry about it when we do the machine work on the block. Maybe I should just go for one of their quad cam "904" motors... That would fix the lifter problem once and for all!

Craig
    Damn Brian, that sucks. Maybe that's why we didn't see you at the lake yesterday frown

GofastRacer
    DogHouse:
    Check out these trick new lifters:
    [img]http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/504/313lifter2-med.jpg[/img]
    That #6 exhaust. Are they supposed to look like that after 10 hours of use? cry
    Haven't found any evidence of any other problems internally, no oiling problems, no piston/valve contact, no obvious problems with the heads, valves, springs, rockers, or pushrods. Looks like the thing just broke. I still haven't pulled the short block out or the pan off yet so maybe something will become obvious when I do. Collateral damage includes the cam (of course) and the lifter bore in that shiny new Dart block.
    Time to make some phone calls! argue
    Well the summer was off to a good start... Damn that sucks!. eek! I think I'll stay away from them "new trick lifters?..

Infomaniac
    Who put those in the engine?
    *****I AM NOT SAYING THIS IS WHAT HAPPENED *****
    Those new trick lifters come preserved. Cosmoline Grease. It has to be completely washed out before use. If not it blocks the oil to the needle bearings.
    I cleaned mine in solvent and primed the rollers with Marvel Mystery Oil from an oil squirt can. The thinnest stuff I could find. Just to make sure oil got to the needle bearings.
    When were they made? Look at the box. I have a set assembled in Sep 02. I have not fired it up yet. If they admit to a metal problem please let us know ASAP.
    [ May 12, 2003, 03:30 PM: Message edited by: Infomaniac ]

DogHouse
    Infomaniac:
    Who put those in the engine?
    Uh, that'd be me...
    There were instructions regarding the packing grease and cleaning. I soaked them overnight in my parts washer, blew them clean with compressed air, then soaked for several hours in 30 wt before installation. Those oil holes are tiny though, it's always possible that I missed one. However if that was the case I don't think it would have lasted 10 hours like it did. These and the Crower severe-duty are the only ones that Larry Peto recommends. He uses these Iskys in almost all of his solid roller motors and mine is the first that went belly up. I talked to Isky, and they want me to send the cam and all of the lifters (or at least what's left of them!) in for analysis. No promises of course. I still have to pull the motor out of the boat and finish the teardown. It'll probably be a few weeks before I get an answer.
    Don't have the box anymore since I used it to ship my old lifters. They were delivered in Feb if that helps.
    -brian

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast