Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TERROR at the Gas Pump

burtandnancy
    I'm thinking the bad guys may be beating us at our own gas pumps. Its not even Labor Day yet but prices across the country are at record highs. At tourist locations (especially where boaters go) its going to be a shocker. Even so, I hear boats sales are still strong as well as SUV's and trucks. As someone said once, "what a country"

Mandelon
    Somethings gotta give..... I just keep raising my prices to keeep up with costs......but folks keep signing contracts...... :messedup:

CA Stu
    High related to what?
    I reckon, adjusted for inflation, gas was more expensive in the 70's?
    Thanks
    CA Stu

burtandnancy
    Good point Stu. Since the 70's, gas has only tripled or quadrupled. A gallon of water is up about 100 times,(if you drink from a bottle like all my grandkids insist is the only way) and my house is up about 6 times. The only thing that is not up by those multipliers is my social security.

Throttle
    I really had thought we would have felt this increase earlier in the summer. LOL, it is here just in time before labor day weekend... One last big weekend before the demand drops off for a while. :hammer2:

Kilrtoy
    The only thing up is the companies PROFITS...
    Cuz my pay check has only slightly adjusted and is still below the cost of living and my wallet has adjusted to EMPTY...

bchbum
    My pay is going down , my work wants us to take a pay cut & 2 weeks off no pay per year . Oh they also gave themselves a raise & 5 extra days off with pay a year . these are the people that put us in the red by $ 105,000,000.00 yea they earned it .You gotta love local govt.

Not So Fast
    High related to what?
    I reckon, adjusted for inflation, gas was more expensive in the 70's?
    Thanks
    CA Stu
    BULL S--T reasoning !!!!!!!!!!!! NSF

TCHB
    (Washington, D.C.) – Domestic petroleum companies have stuck U.S. gasoline and natural gas consumers with about $250 billion in price hikes since January 2000, resulting in an increase in after-tax windfall profits of $50 to $80 billion to the industry, a report released today by the Consumer Federation of America and Consumers Union concluded. The groups are calling on federal and state authorities to investigate oil company price manipulation as one way to bring prices down to more reasonable levels in the near terms and a strong commitment to increased fuel efficiency in the automobile fleet for the long term.
    The report, entitled Fueling Profits: Industry Consolidation, Excess Profits & Federal Neglect, Domestic Causes of Recent Gasoline and Natural Gas Price Shocks, shows While OPEC has taken a bite out of consumer’ pocketbooks, domestic companies have taken about three quarters of the price increases since January 2000. The report attributes about half of the price increases to changes in domestic pricing behavior that was created by a wave of mergers that swept through the industry in the past decade.
    “The industry became concentrated in the hands of a few vertically integrated companies and allowed domestic oil companies shut down refineries, reduce stocks, and exploit markets when they become tight,” said Mark Cooper, CFA’s Director of Research. “Since these price increases were about padding the corporate bottom line, not about responding to increased costs, petroleum industry profits have risen to record highs over the period.
    “Based on results from the first quarter of this year, domestic petroleum industry profits are headed for another record with refining and marketing profits up about 50 percent compared to the first quarter of 2003, Cooper added.”

MagicMtnDan
    The only thing up is the companies PROFITS...
    Cuz my pay check has only slightly adjusted and is still below the cost of living and my wallet has adjusted to EMPTY...
    I don't think you'll get much sympathy around here from those who know the list of killer toys you have. Better save it for those who don't know you have a DCB (or know what they cost)... :wink:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast