Thread: cement block

d schuttler
    Has any one tried running a cemented block in pleasure boat what problems would be assciated with it.

Blown 472
    I put a bunch in once when I was trying to sink it.

Craig
    Blown 472:
    I put a bunch in once when I was trying to sink it. That's good
    Seriously though, from what I recall, most of the time you cement the blocks to give more lower block stability. If you're running a Chevy, I wouldn't think it's necessary in 99% of the cases. Now on the Buick 455's we run they're a thin wall casting and don't have the support the Chebby does. We cement them up to about the water pump passages on drag cars.

Blown 472
    I am not sure how that would work with the cooling. Buicks huh? what do you run??

d schuttler
    This is a chevy block guy was going to run it in a pulling tactor. its also filled to the water pump inlets will this thing stay cool on me.

d schuttler
    it will be burning alcohol. how long could a guy run this before, if it heats up

Clown
    If it is filled up to the bottom of the water pump, It is not going to be a motor I would use to take the wife and kids out in every weakend.
    pig_flyi

Craig
    Blown 472:
    I am not sure how that would work with the cooling. Buicks huh? what do you run?? Got a 70 and 71 Gran Sport. 71 is an original big block car, one of about 680 made that year. It ran 12.18 @ 110 at one point. Has power windows, seats etc. Going to put a more streetable motor in it and a Vintage Air A/C unit. Like a dumbass, I tore all the AC stuff out back in '81 when I got it. Afterall, hot rods don't have A/C. Course, I didn't live in the middle of desert back then! Other one is actually a "clone". Going to make it strickly a drag car. Hopefully have it running this summer.
    Craig

Fiat48
    I'd say not to use the block if it filled that far and trying to pleasure boat it "every weekend". My alcohol flat is filled and I do occasionally run it at the lake, but don't think it would be a good idea to run it all the time. A lot of guys fill them 1/2 way up and seem to have no problems. Basically filling is for race stuff only. If it is filled with grout..you may be able to knock the stuff out, at least part way down. Top of the cylinder area is the main concern.

Scarab Fast
    I have a 383 that is filled up to a little above the bottom of the freeze plugs. I did this because of the grinding I had to do on the block for the H-beam rods to clear. My temp. stays at 150. I am running an Alpha drive with the pump in it, no external pump. My oil is getting hot and causing my oil pres. to drop down to around 10-12lbs, not sure if the cement caused this or not but I am going to put an oil cooler on it this spring. Also keep in mind that if you have to drain the water out of the block so it dont freeze the cement will cover the drain cocks and you will not be able to drain it here. I drilled one of the motor mount holes out on each side of the block to drain the water out and then flush anti-freeze through it