Thread: Adjusting Rockers

CVX20Dustin
    I would like some input on Adjusting the rockers on a 460 (Hyd. lifters,roller rockers)with intake on. I was told to rotate the motor over until the Valve closed and go another 1/4 turn. Then move the push rod up and down why,ll tighting the rocker until it quits moving then go 1/2 a turn more and its good. I did this and it seem to be making a lot more vavle train noise. Any help thanks.

Moneypitt
    It sounds like you are mixing the methods of adjustment. I use the TDC per cylinder method, while others insist IO/EC method is better. Either way will get the job done. My way, TDC per cylinder is simple. Bring #1 to firing TDC, adjust those valves to 0 lash, plus 1/4 turn of rocker nut. Then rotate the engine 1/4 turn, and adjust the next cylinder in the firing order, both valves. Then 1/4 turn and on to the next in the firing order until you have gone thru all the cylinders. At firing TDC both valves will be closed, no guessing.....MP

SmokinLowriderSS
    Interesting method Moneypitt. Nothing wrong with it, I'd just never heard of it or thought of it. :idea:
    I loosen them all, set #1 up for TCD firing, actually adjust ALL (saves me looking up the "list of which ones to do), then spin the engine 1 turn, and adjust the loose ones. Just zero lash plus 1/4 turn.
    I woulds rather adjust them idling, but I don't have a spare set of stamped valve covers to cut open into catch-pans. :chi:

1BIGJIM
    Interesting. I have never heard of the TDC method. And yes that will work just as fine as the other method. When I was first taught to adjust valves we did it with the engine running and oil splashing everywhere
    Oh how times have changed.

GofastRacer
    TDC method is ok if you're "SURE" the cam is straight up, with the E/O, I/C method, it don't matter where the cam is set you're always going to be on the heel of the cam, that's why all the cam MFG's tell you to do it that way!..

SmokinLowriderSS
    Interesting. I have never heard of the TDC method. And yes that will work just as fine as the other method. When I was first taught to adjust valves we did it with the engine running and oil splashing everywhere
    Oh how times have changed.
    Ahh the memories. It's amazing just how far oil wil shoot out of that tiny hole when 30 to 50 PSI is applied to it isn't it? The little diverters would be great but I wouldn't want to leave them on. I just can see one (or more) coming off at Oh .. say ... 5,000 RPM and getting into malicious mischief.

Norseman
    Ahh the memories. It's amazing just how far oil wil shoot out of that tiny hole when 30 to 50 PSI is applied to it isn't it? The little diverters would be great but I wouldn't want to leave them on. I just can see one (or more) coming off at Oh .. say ... 5,000 RPM and getting into malicious mischief.
    Not to mention all that oil all over the exhaust, and fenders, the bottom of the hood, and windshield, and the car sitting next to yours and....... :frown:

SmokinLowriderSS
    Yep, :smile: :smile:

TDC method is ok if you're "SURE" the cam is straight up, with the E/O, I/C method, it don't matter where the cam is set you're always going to be on the heel of the cam, that's why all the cam MFG's tell you to do it that way!..
    This is the way I do it. No drama or surprises this way and easier than you'd think.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    I learned by the e/o i/c and it works well for me