Thread: converting a small boat to jet drive

searaider13
    I am new to hot boats I have a 13' searaider w a 60h merc hanging on the back trim tabs hot little speed boat. But the motor is tired and it sits to low in the water in the back. I have in the past worked on a lot of different gas engines from sb-bb- olds, sm-bb chevs, but the one I want to put in this little screamer is a dodge 2.2 turbo. I can get an easy 250 horse out of this powerplant. I am not sure if berkley makes a jet drive half the size of the 12je . Can somebody give me some places to start looking.

Jetmugg
    I say "go for it". There are some New Zealand jet guys who use Subaru engines in their boats. I'm not sure what kind of jet drive unit they use, though.
    Aggressor has advertised their "Junior" jet drives for a while, but I've never seen one. This might be a good application.
    Go for it, and take lots of pics.
    SteveM.

jshirley78
    chicago boat works
    they make the boats that they use over in Australia for jet boat racing. I think those boats are 11 or 13' with sbc powerplants. I believe they are the same ones that built the boat used in one of the recent James Bond movie's

DeputyDawg
    I think thoes boats use Hamilton or Doen pumps.

bottom feeder
    Most of the smaller craft use the axil flow pumps. Dave at Agressor had a sprint boat with a Jr drive and small motor. If i recall correctly he used it for RD testing. As DD said Hamilton, Doen, and for the hard core Scott pumps are most often used.
    For them who have seen the Bond boat here is the info http://www.rmrboats.com/bond.htm
    Yep another product of Idaho

YeLLowBoaT
    What about one of the merc pump that they put in smaller jetboats. I know they make 1 that bolts up to a 240 hp 4.3 v6 that is not very big. might be just the right size for a small boat.

SmokinLowriderSS
    Heck yea, give it a try. Try to find a motor tho that makes a good bit of torque, it'll help you run a decently sized impeller for acceleration. The turbo motor sounds OK, but smallish. I think I'd head for that 4.3 V6 Idea myself, or something similar.

napabob
    I say "go for it". There are some New Zealand jet guys who use Subaru engines in their boats. I'm not sure what kind of jet drive unit they use, though.
    Aggressor has advertised their "Junior" jet drives for a while, but I've never seen one. This might be a good application.
    Go for it, and take lots of pics.
    SteveM.
    I visit this site often and they do have a thread on engines in small boats.
    http://www.nzjetboating.com/yabbse/i...p?topic=1552.0
    Good luck,

Aluminum Squirt
    Try
    www.outlaweagle.com/15_16sport.htm
    That's the link to Eagle's Sport Jet, its 15' and runs a 240HP Merc Sport Jet. Not too much tech info, because they sell boats, not rigging or pumps. You can try coming up on their forum, quite a bit of info there about some of the smaller boats and many knowledgable people. The Scott/Hamilton/Doen pumps are what are usually used on the smaller (usually sprint style) boats.
    I would consider a traditional Berk/Legend/AT Etc. pump though,you will have more parts and tuning options. There are plenty of guys running 250HP in regular low profile lake boats, they are just family boats and they seem to work just fine. Your boat is a little smaller but if you can get 250HP out of that little motor, then you may as well run a full size pump. Your only issue is going to be matching the right impeller to your torque/HP curve and matching it to the weight/size of the boat.
    My set up is only 15' with 355HP and I have a Legend pump(B) with a steel race nozzle (previously had a place diverter) and it seems to run fine. I'm actually pretty happy with it and I'm getting speeds well into the 70's. There are plenty of boats faster but I have yet to see a fiberglass boat with 355HP getting near my speed, although I'm well aware there's always somebody faster than you. Actually right now my motor is shot, but as soon as I get a new ZZ4, I'm hoping to get the set up just right and get 80 out of it. Probably wishful thinking, but I'll even be happy with 80 down river. Sounds like a fun little project-Aluminum Squirt