Thread: Crate motors

Blown509Liberator
    Ok, Been looking at Crate motors, I have had 502/502 in the past and was very happy with it. I am looking at the ZZ454 or the 454 HO. The ZZ is a 440hp aluminum head motor. The HO is a steel head motor making 415hp. I plan to run it here in the Chicago land area for a few years then I will be headed to FL and playing in the Golf Coast. Does Anyone have any experience with these motors? The zz seems mild enough to last long and let my bravo one live but enough HP to push my 251 Checkmate Convincor along at a good clip. I can also pick one up from a dealer down the steet and save some of this season.

ECeptor
    freshwater vs closed cooling would make the decision for me - aluminum heads with closed loop, steel heads for sea water.

SmokinLowriderSS
    freshwater vs closed cooling would make the decision for me - aluminum heads with closed loop, steel heads for sea water.
    Agreed here too. I'd personally go with the aluminum heads but either right now, or upon moving south convert to a closed cooling system. The Atlantic & Gulf will wreak HAVOC on those heads otherwise in an iron block (Al manifold too). Now, if it were ALL aluminum...................... :idea:

Blown509Liberator
    Should have noted that beforehand. It will be closed system before it sees salt

SmokinLowriderSS
    I could be wrong on this but, I actually don't think that aluminum pieces would actually be a major corrosion issue in salt water IF, and I do meam IF IT IS A NIGHTLY-TRAILERED BOAT. The corrosion problem (galvanic (dissimilar metals) corrosion requires a condition of 2 or more dissimilar metals with a conductive liquid to bring them into electrical contact. Day-time use followed by nightime drying the drained warm motor would likely minimize any corosion.
    This in no way negates my prior post advising a closed cooling sys.

ECeptor
    I could be wrong on this but, I actually don't think that aluminum pieces would actually be a major corrosion issue in salt water IF, and I do meam IF IT IS A NIGHTLY-TRAILERED BOAT. The corrosion problem (galvanic (dissimilar metals) corrosion requires a condition of 2 or more dissimilar metals with a conductive liquid to bring them into electrical contact. Day-time use followed by nightime drying the drained warm motor would likely minimize any corosion.
    This in no way negates my prior post advising a closed cooling sys.
    Nightly trailered and fresh water flushed would greatly reduce the corrosion. Closed loop makes it go away.
    So, go for the Al heads...more power!

Sun burners
    Whats the ratio for flushing after salt water
    10 minutes to every hour?
    Thanks Mike with,
    502 with aluminum heads

kevnmcd
    Whats the ratio for flushing after salt water
    10 minutes to every hour?
    Thanks Mike with,
    502 with aluminum heads
    Get yourself some Salt Away from West Marine and run it through the motor after flushing. Read about it here. (http://www.saltawayproducts.com/ApplicationsPage.htm)