Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone ever think the Salton Sea area will be worth anything?

Mandelon
    The Salton Sea could be such an awesome place. Lots of cheap land, close by here in So Cal.....awesome weather...
    Ya think the gov will ever figure it out? Even if they make half the lake funky and half the lake nice and clean......filter it or whatever...... and the real estate boom would be incredible......
    I heard in the 50's it was a great lake to visit.

unleashed
    The Salton Sea could be such an awesome place. Lots of cheap land, close by here in So Cal.....awesome weather...
    Ya think the gov will ever figure it out? Even if they make half the lake funky and half the lake nice and clean......filter it or whatever...... and the real estate boom would be incredible......
    I heard in the 50's it was a great lake to visit.
    The government is to retarted to do something right...are you kidding??? Hey everytime I pass that junky lake on the way to Glamis I think the same thing. This place would be the boating mecca of California if they were to clean it up...but that would take brains. If we get enough people we could do it ourselves...we just need lots and lots of TNT and a place in Parker where no one would notice.
    Deano
    Unleashedclothing (http://www.unleashedclothing.com) :crossx:

2Driver
    With inflation about $1.50 - $1.75

boxscore
    There is no way to "save" the Salton Sea. It's not natural, it was created by man's error. It's 285 feet below sea level, situated on a natural salt flat.
    That's why they should leave the place alone. It was never meant to be a lake. You could throw 100's of millions at the place and still never be able to make it right. My Grandfather bought a lot there way back when. I think in the late 1950's...when it was gonna be the next mecca. It was even developed with nice streets and curb and gutter. Sold it about 10 years ago for $4,000. Although those cheap lots are now attracting builders and buyers who cant afford anything else here in the valley.

Ziggy
    I've known a few of my older customers that bought way back when there was proposals to turn it into resort like area...but the unhealthy sea turned away most developers. What these older folks expected to make them cash turned into a pitfall.
    The sea itself could be restored to some degree of health in my opinion with decent in/out flows...It makes sense to create a flow between Sea of Cortez and SaltonSea with pipes or canals.....not rocket science, we do it to supply ourselves with shower and toilet water already.
    With less Farmers farming the lands due to the water authority agreement, there is already a reduced amount of pesticides reaching the sea...a positive step.
    One can only guess its future............probably not something many of us will see in our lifetime.

Sportin' Wood
    Granpp's use to boat there in the 50's, He told us it was a mess then as well.

Wonderboy
    What about the smell? That place stinks so bad! My friend and I had to work on a few cell phone towers near there for a few days. I was the nastiest smell. I never really noticed it when passing by to go to Glamis, but when I was stuck there for several days it got to me. My friend even gagged a few times.

BoatPI
    And the salt content is incredible. That is why outboards are used on the lake not to mention the shallow water.

tamalewagon
    There is no way to "save" the Salton Sea. It's not natural, it was created by man's error. It's 285 feet below sea level, situated on a natural salt flat. There is no outflow, only polluted agricultural runoff. The rate of evaporation is too great to overcome through any means but diverting a large amount of flow from the Colorado River, something that would cause great hardship on the Southern California as a whole.
    It can never be fixed, it exists where no sea would naturally exist in nature. The best thing to do is leave it alone now.
    The Salton Sea was not created by man's error. If you look at the history of the Salton Sea, it was formed by several floodings of the Colorado river back to 700 AD and more recently in 1500 AD. There have been several attempts to kickstart the real estate and lake itself, but all have failed so far. The sea itself is dying at a fairly rapid pace.

blender over
    What about the smell? That place stinks so bad! My friend and I had to work on a few cell phone towers near there for a few days. I was the nastiest smell. I never really noticed it when passing by to go to Glamis, but when I was stuck there for several days it got to me. My friend even gagged a few times.
    If you dont mind me asking, who do you work for?
    My company builds cell towers also.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast