Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bravo 3 Shifts Hard Into Gear?

Cole Sanger
    I did some searches, and can't find exactly what I am looking for. I am looking for info on what is making my bravo 3 go into gear hard. Goes into reverse pretty good. When I shift into forward, the engine rev's a little before the drive shifts into gear and then it clunks into gear.

Rode's Way Boats Inc
    It sounds like your throttle cable is miss adjusted. Try loosening the tension on the cable at the carb.

Cheap Thrills
    Do the Bravo drives use the micro switch on the throttle linkage that kills the ignition for a sec like the Alpha drives had ? I had an Alpha that was clunking going into gear and it was the problem .
    C.T. :wink:

phebus
    No, there is no interrupt switch on Bravo drives

Cole Sanger
    So, I am not sure if I fixed my problem, but I have helped it for now. What I ended up doing is just adjusting the shifter linkage a little. Now it shifts into gear a little earlier.
    The adjustment I made was on my linkage that shifts the drive into forward or reverse. I left the throttle alone. Other than fixing my problem, the only other thing it did was give me a little less reverse speed. Now when I shift into reverse, it takes a little longer for the throttle to actually start increasing the RPM.
    I don't know too much about these drives (first sterndrive), could it be that my clutch is going bad. I don't even know if this has a clutch.

dirty old man
    check your idle. if its too high it will also cause problems, both in/out of gear

Outnumbered
    I hear that these drives do clunk into gear a little harder than the standard bravo because you are swinging so much prop and it also has less slip. My B3 clunks more than my B1 did but its not harsh. I think it is normal.

Cole Sanger
    I think my idle was ok. Also, when I shift into reverse it was shifting fine. Looks like I got it fixed.

Outnumbered
    I think my idle was ok. Also, when I shift into reverse it was shifting fine. Looks like I got it fixed.
    I don't think you can adjust the idle on the EFI anyway, can you?

Cole Sanger
    Not sure. Does it matter that my boat is TPI? I know it has a throttle position sensor, but there are a couple of cables that I can adjust.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast