Thread: Another off Topic, 2 strokes, Shattered Rings

Bow Tie Omega
    Well, since there seems to be some knowledge here concerning 2 strokes, I have a Question.
    Along with the Omega, we have a 2000 Yamaha SUV(the 4 seat wave runner). Anyhoo, The Wave Runner has 72 hours on it since new. I have shattered the piston rings in the #2 and #1 cylinders in the last 7 running hours, #3 were still intact. Both times, I have been on the stretch of river between Laughlin and Needles.
    I do not feel that has anything to do with it.
    First time was the #2 and a month later it was the #1. It has the extended warranty. This time they are replacing all of the rings and replacing the oil pump, they swear the bottom end is fine(contaminated oil). I am at a loss. My gut tells me it could be oil injection related. This thing is maintained to spec. I do not want to be taking this thing back to Malcolm Smith again. No warning lights. It does stall a couple of times at speed right before it happens. It also stalls intermittently at speed since this all has started which it had never done before. Any help would be appreciated...Joe
    [ December 26, 2002, 09:54 AM: Message edited by: Bow Tie Omega ]

Havasu Hangin'
    Bow Tie Omega:
    ...I have shattered the piston rings in the #2 and #1 cylinders in the last 7 running hours, #3 were still intact. Both times, I have been on the stretch of river between Laughlin and Needles...Well...since I don't know anything about those rings, all I can suggest is staying away from the area between Laughlin & Needles...
    Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance...

beached1
    Bow Tie Omega:
    It does stall a couple of times at speed right before it happens. It also stalls intermittently at speed since this all has started which it had never done before. Any help would be appreciated...Joe Too lean. The Oil injection is not your problem either. The little stalls you are talking about sounds like you are not getting enough fuel. If the Oil injection wasn't functioning, you'd do alot more damage than just sticking a couple rings.
    The bottom end should be fine as long as their are no pieces of the rings or pistons down there. I may be wrong but I think those big Yamis are fuel injected. Either way, carbs or no carbs, MS isn't setting up right. Make sure they vacum test the engine. You may have an air leak also.
    Try posting your Yami PWC ?'s here.
    http://www.rivayamaha.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi
    http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...c.sport.jetski
    Hope this helps

Snowboat
    Have you been fooling with the exhaust ports to get more HP? If you have ported your sleeves, that can be the problem, if not, I don't know. Normally, when you hole a two stroke piston, it is right in the center.

beached1
    Snowboat:
    Have you been fooling with the exhaust ports to get more HP? It would void his warranty so I doubt it.

502procharger
    beached 1 has it right. if it were a oil issue the lower end would have locked up by now. if it is a carb motor, i woold also look at your inpulse lines that run from your fuel pump to your crank case. it sounds like you are sucking air at high rpm and leaning it out. make sure it is jetted right. when it stalls at speed does it sound like it is just being shut down, or does the motor stop faster than normal? how do the cyl. look after the ring brakes? there are so many things that could be going on. good luck.
    [ December 26, 2002, 06:51 PM: Message edited by: 502procharger ]