Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: Hey all you love it or leave it guys......

Big Warlock
    You are aware that over 50% of the shipping from the midwest goes down the mississippi through New Orleans to the ocean right? And that New Orleans is the 5th largest port in the country? And that 70 % of the support bases for the offshore industry was in the path of the hurricane? And that those that worked at the port, harbor pilots, offshore workers, support bases, etc. etc. no longer have homes in the area? They have been moved or evacuated. So no one is there to start the oil production back up? And that the area is a major crossroads for pipelines to transport refined fuels and goods as well?
    I know it seems unreasonable to you that there is a major impact, although a mere 500, 000 in New Orleans and most likely an additional 1,000,000 people in the path of the hurricane have been taken out of commision. Power is lost (pumping stations, homes, hotels, etc. etc.) Trust me, this is going to affect us. We are fortunate it did not hit Houston and south, then there would be severe oil shortages.
    However, we in Az and Ca. should be ok. Our infrastructure is still good to the gulf coast and tankers can deliver crude to Ca.
    If you want to do something, as everyone asks, stay home. Don't drive unless you have to. If everyone did that, prices would drop quickly. Most of us are going to pay the price and go to the lake and bitch.
    It's still supply and demand. If you own a home in Ca. and it's worth 300 in August and 500 in September, you going to stick with 300 because you don't want to "gouge"? No, you are going to sell it to the person who wants to pay the most for it. Face it, they can raise the price of gas and people will pay for it. Until there is more gas available than people are demanding, prices will continue to rise. It's a no brainer. You would do it too.

CA Stu
    You are aware that over 50% of the shipping from the midwest goes down the mississippi through New Orleans to the ocean right? And that New Orleans is the 5th largest port in the country? And that 70 % of the support bases for the offshore industry was in the path of the hurricane? And that those that worked at the port, harbor pilots, offshore workers, support bases, etc. etc. no longer have homes in the area? They have been moved or evacuated. So no one is there to start the oil production back up? And that the area is a major crossroads for pipelines to transport refined fuels and goods as well?
    I know it seems unreasonable to you that there is a major impact, although a mere 500, 000 in New Orleans and most likely an additional 1,000,000 people in the path of the hurricane have been taken out of commision. Power is lost (pumping stations, homes, hotels, etc. etc.) Trust me, this is going to affect us. We are fortunate it did not hit Houston and south, then there would be severe oil shortages.
    However, we in Az and Ca. should be ok. Our infrastructure is still good to the gulf coast and tankers can deliver crude to Ca.
    If you want to do something, as everyone asks, stay home. Don't drive unless you have to. If everyone did that, prices would drop quickly. Most of us are going to pay the price and go to the lake and bitch.
    It's still supply and demand. If you own a home in Ca. and it's worth 300 in August and 500 in September, you going to stick with 300 because you don't want to "gouge"? No, you are going to sell it to the person who wants to pay the most for it. Face it, they can raise the price of gas and people will pay for it. Until there is more gas available than people are demanding, prices will continue to rise. It's a no brainer. You would do it too.
    This is an educated and erudite post, and your analogy is spot on.
    Are you sure you clicked on the right site?
    You hit the nail on the head with the housing price analogy.
    It's Economics 101, supply and demand.
    I'm driving 55-60 everywhere, and no more drive-throughs for me.
    I'll park and walk in and save a teaspoon or two of gas, and squeeze an extra 3 mpg on the freeway.
    If you're looking for me, I'll be in the slow lane with THE REAL AMERICANS!!!!
    Cheers
    CA Stu

Big Warlock
    It was just something I read in the post that you said (I think) regarding the press and how they are blowing this one out of proportion. You also mentioned that New Orleans couldn't be responsible for some percentage of the nation's fuel etc. etc. I was trying to illustrate for you the reason why.
    I agree with you and those that said it the press blows things out of proportion. I think they don't have this one right at all. The immediate devastation is impressive. The impact on the economy is going to be felt all over.
    I didn't mean to bring it to the top. I hadn't been on HB for a bit and you know I love these political threads. So you should have seen that I was going to jump on it. And often times I am on the opposite side of the opinion poll from you. No big deal. I would still tie up with you on the lake because I do know your a good guy! I just like to get the "evil" side's view out there as well.
    Have a great weekend! SK too! He's on the same tag team right? LOL
    :boxingguy
    Rob

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910