Thread: Replacing rear main seal

Carbon Dave
    My boat has a Big Block Chevy. It looks like the rear main is leaking. How hard is it to replace when the crank is still in? Do you just pull the main bearing cap off and push the old upper half out??

Floored
    yes on mk4 but gen 5-6 are one piece.

Carbon Dave
    It is a mk4. Still going to be a pain in the butt....LOL

GofastRacer
    Not really, just loosen the main caps and let the crank drop a hair and slide it out no biggie!..

mrcrsr
    it isn't difficult once you get the oil pan off!!! also, use a small dab of silicone between the seal halves(ultra black is good for this)

mrcrsr
    ps- do not losen all the main bearing bolts!!! remove rear main cap, and what you have to do is use a small wooden dowel or a piece of plastic of the proper shape, and try to push the upper part of the seal out until you can grab it w/ a pair of needlenose pliers-sometimes it helps to use 2 people and have one person rotate the crank in the direction you are pushing the seal-just do not scratch the crank!!! to install the new one push it in and rotate the crank in the direction of installation, hopefully this helps

Carbon Dave
    ps- do not losen all the main bearing bolts!!! remove rear main cap, and what you have to do is use a small wooden dowel or a piece of plastic of the proper shape, and try to push the upper part of the seal out until you can grab it w/ a pair of needlenose pliers-sometimes it helps to use 2 people and have one person rotate the crank in the direction you are pushing the seal-just do not scratch the crank!!! to install the new one push it in and rotate the crank in the direction of installation, hopefully this helps
    I think this sounds like the ticket. I will get a piece of plastic from work. I am assuming it is the rear main and not the pan. But if I have to replace the pan gasket I might as well do the rear main while I am in there.
    I just wish I had known there was a problem when I was replacing the transmission and had the engine out!!

mrcrsr
    for the pan gasket there are 2 styles available-the old set which was made up of the 2 cork sides and end rubbers, and i believe fel pro offers as an upgrade a one piece rubber gasket which is much easier to install and more leakproof, so try to get it, hopefully you have the torque specs, if not let me know, charlie