Thread: Info On 1964 Stevens In New England

skbob
    I looked at a 1964 Stevens shovelnose v-drive hydro yesterday. The guy said it is a rare boat. It came with a small block chevy, but now has a big block chevy. It has a Casale v-drive. It' been sitting outside for a long time and it's in pretty ratty condition. The deck is cracked, stringers cracked near motor mounts. I couldn't find an ID tag or VIN # tag. The boat needs a total restoration. He said the motor runs. Can anybody give me any information about this boat? I am new to this game, but I've always loved the v-drives. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

DaveA
    With all that hull work required, that's a big project....but if the stringers are cracked, well then, you're looking at a looong time before you get that thing on the water if you're not an accomplished fiberglass craftsman, and/or don't have a big warm workshop to do this stuff in. I'm facing something similar to that with one of my Raysoncrafts- delaminated bottom and stringers. It's gonna require a ton of work and alot of help from many hands over time. I may just try to find another hull and swap hardware.
    Bottom line....he sez it's rare??? it ain't THAT rare, IMHO. Maybe in the Northeast, but it's just not that special to anybody but to who's selling, and who's buying when it's that bad off.
    Look around for a more 'turn-key' project. Especially if it's your first v-drive- there's a number of hulls without power that come up for sale here, on Ebay, and in other venues that are in much better condition and will not require forever to get them running.
    Just my lil' ole' opinion, y'all....So, whaddya think you'll do?

mfrey
    With all that hull work required, that's a big project....but if the stringers are cracked, well then, you're looking at a looong time before you get that thing on the water if you're not an accomplished fiberglass craftsman, and/or don't have a big warm workshop to do this stuff in. I'm facing something similar to that with one of my Raysoncrafts- delaminated bottom and stringers. It's gonna require a ton of work and alot of help from many hands over time. I may just try to find another hull and swap hardware.
    Bottom line....he sez it's rare??? it ain't THAT rare, IMHO. Maybe in the Northeast, but it's just not that special to anybody but to who's selling, and who's buying when it's that bad off.
    Look around for a more 'turn-key' project. Especially if it's your first v-drive- there's a number of hulls without power that come up for sale here, on Ebay, and in other venues that are in much better condition and will not require forever to get them running.
    Just my lil' ole' opinion, y'all....So, whaddya think you'll do?
    Ain't that rare??? Maybe where you're from they're everywhere...but here in California (where they were likely made) they are very rare. I have seen one restored recently (on display at Bakersfield last September...it's Spike's in the CVDCOA) and I saw a couple at the drags in the 60's when I was a kid. They are very rare around here. SK Bob...They are beautiful boats...if you're up for it PLEASE restore it!

DelawareDave
    I'm looking for a project if you decide to pass on it. Send me the contact info.

skbob
    It is alot of work. More than I can handle for myself, especially for my first boat. I don't have a big warm garage to do the work in!
    The guy that I talked to was not the owner, just storing the boat at his house, but he knew alot about it. I gave the guy my phone number to give to the owner. I'm still waiting to hear from him. I don't know what I am going to do about it, depends on how much $ he wants for it. The guy storing it said about $8,000 probably. I think that it is way too much for what the boat is & what you have to put into it.
    I will know more when I talk to the owner.
    To Delaware Dave: I will get in touch with you, on PM when I find out more.
    Thanks to everyone who responded to me.

Towndrunk
    I'd say 8k is 7k too much for any boat in that condition.

skbob
    I`m from connecticut and in the 70`s there were sangers,sidewinder jets, raysoncrafts etc. that were our ski boats (none of which i owned) that i skied behind. you don`t see these boats around here anymore. i would just like toslap this guy in the head for being stupid to let this boat sit and rot throw him $500. for it (i don't even know if the motor turns over) , and restore it and enjoy it. be a lot cheaper than running a racecar. :hammerhea