Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: The REAL MPH difference between a Jet and a V drive!

wsuwrhr
    SOOOOO! What is that supposed to mean?
    Means I can't wait to MASH GAS in my boat at the race pond.
    Brian

no_chrome
    OH,I thought it was a comparison about how v drives run on top of the water and how jet boats SUCK water into the pump.
    MY mistake!

Well what kind of power does that Suicidal tendencies run? Or what about blu by u? Pretty sure they can both run 8.75's without any trouble.Just want to compare those with some other 8.75-9.0 jets I know of. Im gonna guess they are both in the 750hp range? Lakamp is running some great numbers with not a whole lotta power, hes been 8.60 @120.
    Tony mentioned some pro gas numbers,Im thinking that when you get up into the real deal progas levels (1200 plus hp) they are no longer comparable cause a flat at that level is simply always out performing a jet.Zellmer may not have ran as good as the PGF's, but he did run good for a jet.
    I still think that if you had the key guys setting up a jet with a 675-700 hp engine, they could give a 675-700 hp flat a run for its money, not neccasarily whoop its ass, just give em a good run in a drag race..
    Here is Zellmer..On the ragged edge. :smile: Fu*king crazy
    http://www.zaxisracing.com/images/racing_boat.jpg

I agree with you Chris about a jet vs flat with similar hp in the 650-750 range. The reason for this is weight. You can find 350lb jets and put 700 hp in it and run 9.0s maybe quicker. A flat has more hardware and raw weight and 700 hp should push a flat 9.0s as well. Ron Segni had a bad ass Ski Flat that made in the mid-high 800s in HP and he ran 8.90s. There is a certain hp range that the different propulsions are very equal.
    Back in 1993-1995 Jimmy Marushigi ran the Time Tunnel boat and that thing Kicked ass. It had an aluminum 470, injected and it ran 8.30s-8.50s. that motor probably made 800 but it was aluminum and there wasn't a flat bottom (with 800hp) that could touch it.
    Its all about set up and combination.

Time tunnel an orange/white cp?

That would be the one.

The jet classes were huge back then. (early 90s)
    Jimmy the Jap, Pete Mares, Bob Johnson, Randy Monte, Sal Derenzi,
    Tom Ennis, Jeff Serafin, Bob Kobold Don Lake, Jim Guthrie, Don Harris, Gloria Holstein, Ken Lane, Ken Hobson etc etc.

Bt273
    Cyclone posted a good point about hull drag.
    Quick?jet, on the other hand, after starting...
    The REAL? MPH difference thread;
    blew-off technical posts challenging anything he said about new ride as, "If it's all in the hull then why are so many Jet boats affraid to race V-drives?" Typical bench racing BS post worthy of a few v-drive forum groupies, not much else. Guess what Quick?jet. If you post a thread claiming the REAL anything you’ll probably get some folks responding who know the difference between REAL, and bench racing bullsh*t.
    You ran a 19’ Bahner and now you try to compare to a 17’ Tr2 and conclude difference is drive choice? Are you nuts? Maybe you should put that engine in a 15’ tunnel and drool even more if it’s an i/o?
    Maybe you should've taken a ride in a true high performance jet (100+ not 81 mph) before drooling over a somewhat lame a** 91 mph v-drive.
    Every 10 mph makes a big impression no matter the drive choice or hull. So also, a 19' tunnel jet with 600 hp can run your 17' Tr2 v-drive with your reported 600 hp.
    Length and weight do matter regardless of hull design...duh.
    So also drive choice. My hull's a bit heavy yet my drive+hull I think approach typical v-drive performance in the 5-600 hp range. 700 or more hp maybe not. At some power and speed, I believe the v-drive is more efficient no matter. Not that anyone here will acknowlege my thoughts.
    Details and numbers apparently don't matter to those trying to be cool with the v-drive crowd.
    jer
    Your right we don't acknowlege your thoughts, you don't know what you are talking about, leave immediately!

Unchained
    The record books have proven that the V drives will always be quicker and faster than jets if someone has their setup right and the water is dead flat.
    But how many have their setup right ? And how often is the water dead flat?
    At the local friday night drags here in Mi I ran a guy with a blown hemi hydro and
    had 6 + boat lengths on him by the end of the 800' course.
    He must have been geared for 160 mph in a boat that only went 110.
    I didn't say to myself "jets are faster" I said " his setup was way off "
    It seems to be real common for guys to over gear their boat anticipating some future incredible HP increase.

lucky
    I heard this cat is a pole smoker!
    http://www.v-drivevideo.com/parker/parker2.JPG
    i think this guy could pick up 5- mph in that jet if he got a hair cut -