Quote Originally Posted by Cs19 View Post
A friend of mine was the World Record holder in Pro Gas Jet in 1991...held down both ends of the record...something like 8.055 @ 125 mph or so. So back then, 125mph was a fast as that natrually aspirated/carbureted motor could make the tunnel hull go...and World Record at that. The record was received with that engine, and the engine was retired and sat idle in his shop (for sentimental reasons).
Then in 1993, the same engine was leased for a season to a guy running Pro Gas Flat. In the prop boat, the same motor moved the prop boat a consisent 7.80's @ 137 mph, or 12 mph faster than the world record holding Pro Gas Jet. The prop boat was the APBA high points champ that season, so max effort/consistency shows in both applicatons of the same engine, and the differences in speed are interesting, regardless different hulls, etc.
BTW, last I heard, that record setting engine is currently going into a hydro...wonder how much faster it will go now? :idea:
LO
no need to drop the hint, its clear as day.Thats not the argument.
you say he held the record at 125 "or so"? whos this?
This is a bit inaccurate. Pro Gas Jets were running 8.0's in the late the late 80's, (1988-1989). Donas Singleton held the record in 88 at 8.11. In 1989, Sal DeRenzi broke that record in Red Bluff, running 8.05. The faster progasser's, ( Joe Podowski, Ron Pitt's, Sal DeRenzi, etc.), were running 8.0's and some high 7.8-7.9's in late 1989. And they all ran those et's running 124 mph to 131 or so, depending on how loose the bats were set up. in 91 0r 92 Tony Scarlata borrowed the motor out of Sal's Jet and ran it in his flat. I forget the actual numbers, but after some tuning it ran close to the other flats. The cam and induction choice's were a bit different for the two boats. The jet ran 7200 or so, the flat, 8500-9000.

Lot's of good memories.